1.5 Carat Moissanite-Is It Questionable?

posted 3 months ago in Rings
Post # 2
439 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I have a 1.5 carat moissy and nobody has ever questioned the stone. Not once. If it is something you could conceivably afford I doubt anybody will think twice about it. If you are both on minimum wage they might though lol. Honestly, people just don’t ask out loud though. I wouldn’t worry about other people at all. Just get what you want. 

Post # 3
169 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2007

lovelylovelylife :  I’d say screw what other people think, go for the 3 carat oval, it’s stunning! Here’s an example, it’s 1.25 sizes bigger than what your size is, but I do not think for a second it would be too big.

Congrats on your engagement!

Post # 4
6358 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

Get the size you would prefer. I think it’s more likely that you will regret getting a smaller stone than you want than that you will constantly encounter rude people who ask whether or not your stone is real.

Post # 5
617 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2005 - A Castle

I had this issue when I was upgrade ring shopping and opted to get a gemstone. I wanted to be excited in talking about my ring instead of feeling like I had to explain that I couldn’t afford a 2 ct. diamond so I’m wearing an alternative if someone were to ask me. I think moissanite is beautiful and go back and forth about wanting one, but I just can’t bring myself to have it as part of my wedding set.  

That said, I have a large morganite and I’ve only been asked about it once in 16 months. If people think it’s a pink diamond, pink sapphire, pink alternative stone, pink whatever, that’s fine with me because I know what it is and I’m proud to share. I’d really take the time to think this through because it doesn’t sound like you’d be proud to share about your ring. 

Post # 6
345 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

One thing to keep in mind is that oval cut faces-up a lot larger than many of the other cuts.

good luck bee & congrats on the upcoming engagement!

Post # 7
174 posts
Blushing bee

I have a 2ct white sapphire and I’ve never had anybody think it wasn’t a diamond, and my friends are the type that would just ask outright if they had any suspicions lol. I think realistically, people won’t take that great of a look at your ring, especially past the initial “OMG LET ME SEE THE RING” moment. So I’d say don’t worry about people’s opinions, and if you’re totally in love with a moissanite then go for it! I wouldn’t change a thing about my white sapphire, whether people questioned it or not! 

Post # 8
39 posts
Newbee

People are going to think whatever they want and judge regardless. I have a .8 ct diamond that faces up kind of large (maybe like a 1 ct) and the first thing out of my mother’s mouth was ‘Is it real?’. Same thing when I went to a jeweler to have the ring resized.

So, buy what makes you happy.

Post # 9
9128 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

TBH I think the moissanite oval looks least diamond-like. The cut is so distinctly different. Cushion or RB is your “safest” bet..definitely the 1 carat. But also most importantly, just get what you truly want! Your ring is for you.

Post # 10
50 posts
Worker bee

I have a 1.5 ct round and have never been questioned.  I am willing to openly tell people if they ask, but no one asks.  Most just say, “OMG it looks so pretty!”

Post # 11
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2016

My engagement ring is diamond (triple excellent, G color and 2 carats), and i just received my forever one Moissanite studs (2 ctw, 1carat each) yesterday. Below is the comparison pictures and honestly, i think the quality of forever one is really good, both under daylight and yellow light at night. I don’t think anybody would be able to tell it’s not diamond, but if you are worried about it, you need to think through it. At the end of the day, you should get what makes you happy. Good luck with the decision! 

earring3

earring2

Post # 12
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

lovelylovelylife :  I think you should go with a 1.5 because shrinkage is real. Lol I agree with PP that the oval moissy is probably the least diamond-like cut of moissy, but most people probably aren’t diamond/gemstone experts, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Get what makes you happy and don’t worry about what others may think. Anyone rude enough to say something isn’t worth compromising on what you want anyways. 

Post # 13
1035 posts
Bumble bee

lovelylovelylife :  Honestly, do not worry about it. I have a 1.5 moissanite and rarely has anyone asked anything reguarding the type of stone. Mostly people will say how pretty it is and that is the end of it.

I think this site reallly takes people out of reality when it comes to how much people actually care about what others engagement rings are made of. Most people in everyday life will most likely assume diamond anyway since it is what most people think of when looking at a white sparkly stone. Most people know jack squat about jewelry in general and really dont pay attention anyway.

Get what you want, do not worry about how others will feel. In the end it is your opinion that matters over all.

Post # 14
150 posts
Blushing bee

lovelylovelylife :  It sounds like you and your guy are on the same page with regards to choosing moissy (me too!) but I would try not to worry what others think. You don’t have to say to everyone who sees your ring that it’s not a diamond, if you don’t want to! Moissanite is a beautiful stone and wonderful alternative to diamonds both ethically and economically. That said, perhaps try on stones of that size and compare, see what feels comfy? From what I’ve observed, ovals tend to take up more finger space than a round stone of a equal carat weight. 

Post # 15
92 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2018

I have a 1.5 oval moissy (size 5.5 finger) and I think it is the perfect size! My entire family thought it was a diamond for the longest time, until I told them otherwise. I’ve shown plenty of friends and coworkers and none of them have ever questioned it. I definitely don’t care if others believe it is a diamond or not, because moissanite is beautiful and ethical on its own. 

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors