1.5 months for dress alterations? Calm me down!

posted 3 years ago in September 2014
Post # 2
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - SPRING VALLEY COUNTRY CLUB

I am kind of in a similar situation. My dress isn’t scheduled to come in until the first week of july(fingers crossed) and my wedding is the last week of September. I was told by the store that alterations could take 6 to 8 weeks. I am not really all that worried. I think that if you don’t have many alterations it should be fine. You won’t really be able to tell too much what needs to be done untill you actually get into the dress.

Post # 3
595 posts
Busy bee

I had a similar situation where my dress came in mid March and my wedding was the beginning of May. I had to get a bustle, taken in and cut shorter both twice because they were right the first time. I pretty much had a fitting like every two weeks (I had 3 in total) and everything came out fine! As long as your alterations are pretty basic like mine you should be fine. Does your dress have a lot of details like lace and/or beading? That can slow things up a tad but since they are professionals I think they’ll be able to take care of everything in your time frame. Take a breath! It’ll be okay! 🙂

Post # 4
91 posts
Worker bee

My dress is in but I live across the country from where it currently. I’ll be home a month before the wedding – the store said they would be perfectly fine to do alterations in that timeline.

Post # 5
336 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

My wedding is August 2nd and still haven’t started alterations remotely 

Post # 6
1248 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Seems ok to me, my dress came in like 7 months before the wedding but we didn’t commence alterations until like 1.5 months before the wedding (I had 3 fittings).

Post # 7
7098 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I didn’t start my alterations until a month before my wedding. It was totally fine.

Post # 8
539 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

My first fitting was in May for my July wedding. I called the seamstress in march and that is the timeline she gave me so I’m going with it. my final fitting is 2 days before I step on the plane to leave…lol scary! 

Post # 9
1072 posts
Bumble bee

You’ll be fine! Also, pray for me – it’s a month before my wedding and my dress hasn’t even arrived. 😛

Post # 11
1826 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

My salon suggested I start alteration in early September for a mid-November wedding, so mine’s only 2.5 months. 1.5 isn’t bad! You’ll be fine!

Post # 12
1072 posts
Bumble bee

jmLL:  It’s here now and I have an appointment with a seamstress for tomorrow, so I am feeling a LOT better! 🙂

Post # 13
9 posts
Newbee

My wedding is Sept 27th and my first alterations appointment isn’t until August 25th. My seamstress said she doesn’t ever want to see a bride until about a month before her wedding because of diets.

Post # 14
567 posts
Busy bee

jmLL:  I went to a private seamstress for my gown and when I called her to make my first appointment she insisted I not come in until about four weeks ahead of time. I was freaking out thinking that was definitely not enough time but I am going back for my second fitting this friday (two weeks before the wedding) and my final fitting the week before the wedding. Many of the girls I am friends with use this seamstress and she always seems to get the major work done within two weeks then all minor changes in the third week.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors