(Closed) 1.8 vs. just over 2

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
1208 posts
Bumble bee

Probably not worth it, but looking at the difference in mm here is probably a better bet than carat weight, especially if you’re interested in finger coverage.

Post # 3
2125 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

If it’s that much more expensive, I would say that it isn’t worth it. In all honesty, the difference might not even be noticeable. However, I am not certain because I have not seen the two side by side. Also, they are both “technically” 2 carats as far as that is concerned. 

Post # 4
2224 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 1987

If you want to ‘see’ the difference put the statistics into the following useful website.  You will get a better idea of the difference in size by looking at surface area (as viewed from the top) than merely looking at the diameter difference.

http://www.diamdb.com

One I have done for you.

http://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.8ct-round-vs-2.05ct-round/

I’ve assumed that you are comparing a 1.8 round with a 2.05 round.

The percentage increase in diameter is around 4.42%.

The percentage increase in surface area (as viewed from the top) is 9%. 

The bigger diamond will appear 9% bigger.

Both diamonds are very large diamonds.  If I were you I would go for the smaller diamond and use the money saved to make sure that you have a delightful wedding band and that you go and do something exciting and memorable with your new husband.

Post # 5
8071 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

IMO it’s not worth the price increase (which is exponential) for such a similar look. With diamonds in general a great way to save a few k is staying just under marker carats (.9, 1.45, 1.8!). They really look the same as their neighbors. 

Unless you beau is a rockefeller or something then what the hell why not, go 2. 

Post # 6
529 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

They’re going to look the same, however only you would know if you really want to hit that mark of 2 cts.  

For me, personally, I’m glad we got a 2.5-Ill admit that I’m materialistic and it feels good to say that nice, round number instead of ‘almost 2.5’. We were looking at 2.2-2.6 range. 

Mine since you requested pics 🙂

The topic ‘1.8 vs. just over 2’ is closed to new replies.

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors