(Closed) +1 guest gift question..

posted 10 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
1458 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I would say based on how you know her – $50 seems suitable. $100 seems too much to me for your relationship, and $25, always seems a bit too little.

Post # 5
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

is there anything on her registry that you’d like to get them??

have a great time!

Post # 6
260 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

The general rule, is that you should give a gift that would at least cover your head. So I’ve always worked on $100pp, regardless of relationship.  More if you were in a close relationship.   But I know if you’re travelling for out of town, or you can’t afford it, you can give less..

Post # 7
217 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

Are you sure it is okay that your guy friend is bringing you?  For instance, we are inviting our friends and their significant others to our wedding.  If our guests are not dating anyone, they aren’t getting an "and guest."  So, we are sending an invitation to Sue and Bill.  And if Sue and Bill break up, it doesn’t automatically turn into a Sue +1 where she can bring anyone she wants.  Is this making sense?  So, are you sure he still gets to bring a "plus one."?

If you do get to go – I say $50 or $50 gift from their registry. 

Post # 8
286 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2007

I’m with cyshas….I try to cover my cost at the very least, regardless of relationship.  My standard is $100pp..although having planned my own wedding, I realize that the cost of weddings have gone up significantly.

Post # 9
153 posts
Blushing bee

I think if you are taken as the guest, then the person who takes you should cover your plate.  But if that is not the case, I would try and give as much as I can to try and cover it myself.  I think around $100 too, but it might be more or less depending on where they have it…

Have fun!

Post # 11
1719 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2008 - Winery in the Gold Country

I dont think its necessary for the "and guest" to bring a gift at all, since your guy friend is technically taking you, and should cover you giftwise… but it sounds like you want to bring a gift to be kind…I honestly think $50 is more than generous and a very nice gesture.

Just as a reference point, when my FI and I went to his friends weddings together, he would buy the gift to cover both of us (I didnt buy a seperate gift). 

Post # 12
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

I personally think $50 is absolutely fine, although I’m not sure if it’s expected to be more based the cost of weddings in your area or something like that.  I second what penguin says- before we were married, my husband and I would cover a gift for both of us, depending on if it was for my friend or his. 

Post # 13
2293 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Since you are invited as a couple, I would think that only one gift (from the two of you) is expected.  Maybe coordinate with your friend to purchase something together from the registry?  Or if he has already purchased his gift, another gift, gift card or check from you would be appropriate. 

The topic ‘+1 guest gift question..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors