Tips for planning TTC

posted 3 months ago in TTC
Post # 2
9128 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

You could start learning about your cycle. Log your symptoms, periods etc into an app like Glow so maybe you can figure out what time of the month you ovulate.

Post # 3
71 posts
Worker bee

I downloaded fertility friend on my phone. It’s been really helpful tracking periods, CM and stuff like that. 

Post # 4
1433 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

If you haven’t had your annual exam, I would schedule it and ask any pre-conception questions to your o/b. I did this and they had be come back for a trans-vaginal ultrasound due to my spotting before my AF. Everything was normal but I am so glad I did that 3 months before we wanted to start TTC. 

Post # 5
1866 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Your prenatal vitamin has everything you need in it, so you probably don’t need to take both the women’s multi and the prenatal.

I would relax. Enjoy this time! And get plenty of good exercise, rest, and food. Don’t stress or worry about this too much.

If you aren’t planning on TTC until May or June, are you using another form of contraception?

Post # 7
681 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

railroaderwifeyxo :  I think it depends on how “Type-A” you are… I am a bit of a control freak and I have a small window in which I want to get pregnant because of an unrealated medical issue. For me I went to my Dr and did an annual check up/PAP, I also got caught up on my vaccines and did some bloodwork because just 3 months prior I had wonky thyroid levels. Then I read Taking Charge of your Fertility and started Temping. 

None of that is really needed, so if you are ok going with the flow I’d say you’re good!

Post # 8
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

Congrats! I recommend reading up on TTC, but don’t stress yourself out too much. You don’t need OPKs and temping or anything, they just help down the road if you’re finding it difficult to become pregnant. 

If you’re actively trying, then an app to track your cycles is useful, I would use Ovia or Fertility Friend or something like that. CM/cervix tracking doesn’t work for me so don’t get stressed if you find that they don’t work for you either. 

And don’t get discouraged, it’s true that even if you do everything right you still only have a ~15-20% chance of getting pregnant. 

Post # 9
1866 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

railroaderwifeyxo :  Sounds good! Just a tip… we got pregnant within two weeks of coming off BCP without having a normal cycle. My last period was the one I had right after finishing up my pill packet. No issues with it though and pregnancy is going great so far! But I never thought that it would shake out like that… so I guess we are a bit of a cautionary tale that it can happen regardless!

Post # 12
1397 posts
Bumble bee

I’d do a preconception appointment with your obgyn. Mine strongly urged 4 months of prenatals before TTC. obviously lots of people don’t do prenatals before getting pregnant and still go on to have healthy babies & pregnancies, but this is what my OBGYN recommended. I also did a blood test and found my vit D levels were low, so I started taking supplements. Depending on your prenatal, you might already be getting enough vit D but maybe not. My prenatals have 400 IU vit D but my obgyn said to take 2000 IU/day. 

I also called my health insurance and ran through what specifically was covered and what wasn’t. 

Post # 14
258 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

We were going to start ttc last month but are now pushing forward our date due to things we want to do before having a baby. Anyhow I have started preparing my body anyway. I’ve had blood tests to make sure everything is fine, and also for Vitamin D levels I have bought megafood prenatals but I haven’t started taking them (mainly because it’s like 75$ for a month and I don’t wanna spare that money until I’m certain of wanting to start the ttc. Instead I’ve been taking megafood’s blood builder to up my iron levels, it also contains 400mcg of folate.  I also take 1000iuof vitamin D. I drink far less, drink slightly less coffee, started yoga again, eat a cleaner diet. 

I also have been reading taking charge of your fertility which has been fascinating and I’m tracking my cycle& cervical fluid. 

Post # 15
1490 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

It really depends on your age.

If you’re early 30s or under, I wouldn’t bother with ovulation kits or tracking your CM (bodily secretions). I honestly think that just stresses you out and fixates you on TTC too much. I would just TTC a few times mid-cycle and you should catch it!

If you’re over 35, you might need to be more aware and read up more.

I tried straight off the pill and I was 41. It took us 4 months. Over half-way through pregnancy now with our first baby! As I’m older I read a lot into it and took supplements like Q10 which is supposed to be good for egg supply. If I had been younger, believe me I would not have got so obsessed. It was not enjoyabel and I don’t think it helped! I got pregnant at a time when I was fixated on a totally unrelated health worry and I am absolutely convinced that it was not thinking about TTC that made it happen! OPKs did not work for me and just upset me and cost a lot- totally pointless. And I conceived without ANY of the egg white mucous you read about.

The only tip I can give you other than relaxing is to maintain a healthy weight and not drink much.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors