(Closed) 1 month old at a No Kids Wedding

posted 6 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
14345 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think I would just let it slide.  A 2-4 week baby really isnt going to cry much, just sleep.  A few months older child is much more different (louder and awake) than a newborn.  With a child *that* new, they probably dont want to leave it at alone just yet and with the feeding and all if shes breast feeding and not yet on bottle routine.  How close are you?  Maybe you can suggest not bringing the child, but let them know its ok if they have to?

Post # 4
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

We’re in the EXACT same situation, literally. They found out they were pregnant, due 1 month before our wedding, right after we sent them their save-the-date. So we couldn’t uninvite them, and now we’re debating whether or not we should enforce the rule and essentially disable them from coming, or let it slide and deal with “trying” to keep the baby quiet.

We’re thinking we’ll stick to the rule, even if it makes them angry and means they can’t come. But I swear if I hear a kid screaming during our ceremony, first dance, cake cutting, etc., I am going to RAGE, so I think I’d rather not have to deal with that.

Post # 5
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Hm. Not sure. But I am struggling with this issue internally as a guest!

My husband’s cousin is getting married roughly two weeks after my due date. I’m not sure what I will do yet, if I will be up to going if I’m late. If she invites baby or not. if she does whether if we would bring baby or not.

I’m hoping my mom will be here by then bc I will feel very comfortable leaving the baby with my mom to go to the wedding. And if there was a gap between ceremony & reception that would be perfect, that way I can stop home to breastfeed/pump.

But I would NOT presume to bring my newborn if your invite clearly stated no kids.

Do they have any immediate family nearby that it would even be a possibility to leave the baby with?

Post # 6
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

I would personally let it slide. The baby may very well only be a few weeks old. If they attend, she may be breastfeeding and not be comfortable being away from the baby that long. They also may not yet be comfortable (or not found) a babysitter at that point. If this is their first child, and they have to travel, my guess is they won’t attend.

Post # 7
5273 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

They may not even attend…so I would wait till the wedding gets closer & then if they are planning on coming, having a dicussion to see if they would be comfortable with a babysitter.

Post # 8
2651 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Let it slide and see if you can find a Quiet roomfor if the baby gets loud/ needs to feed.

Post # 9
46262 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

One month old babies really don’t make that much noise. Just wait and see what happens. They may choose not to come. If they do come, let her know where she can take the baby if she needs privacy- some new breatsfeeding moms are not comfortable nursing in public. She can also take the baby there if it does get fussy.

Post # 10
927 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I would let it slide. It is unfair to ask them to leave a month-old baby at home, especially if the mum is breastfeeding. I also think it would be u fair to have not invited them because you knew they were pregnant. I’d be pretty upset if I knew I hadn’t been invited somewhere because I was having a baby. I think a baby at your reception is very different than an older child.

Post # 11
74 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

ugh, I am in the exact same situation as you – except the person in question is my cousin! Her baby is due one month before our wedding and I feel the baby will be too young to ask her to leave him/her home with a babysitter. But I am also worried that others will not be happy since we have been clear with other family/friends that this is a child-free wedding. And the selfish part of me is scared the baby will cry at a really awful time (e.g., walking down the aisle, in the middle of speeches) and will ruin a special moment for us. In the end, I think I am going to let it slide though, since I don’t feel like I have any other real option. Sounds like you might be in a similar boat. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us that, like others have said, the babies will just sleep most of the time and won’t cry a lot.

Post # 12
5179 posts
Bee Keeper

Let it slide, I agree with your mom

Post # 13
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@tink1983: if other people get pissed, that’s their own issue. Leaving a 5 year old at home is much different than leaving a 3-5 week old baby – and other guests should be able to realize that.
To be honest, you probably wouldn’t notice if a meteor crashed outside the building while you walk down the aisle. Music is playing, you are so caught up in the moment, that nothing can intrude on it.

There were several kids at our wedding and I don’t remember any of them ever doing anything, although they probably did at some point.

Post # 14
4755 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Im in the same position. I do think a call is in order though. I made it known to my cousin who is going to be a month old mom at my wedding, that I would prefer there to be no kids, as it’s a no kid wedding BUT, I understand that it’s hard to get away at that age… but at the same time I told her flat out I’m sorry but since it’s a no-kid wedding there will be no kid/ baby freidnly accomodations for you and the little one. I’m not turning down the music, or making ppl hush hush over sleeping baby… She was accepting and understanding pointing out she would try to not have the baby there. So it’s really her choice if she wants to have a baby in a lound, drunken environment.

Post # 15
753 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Honestly, I would let it slide.  I have been to several other weddings that were “no kids” but a couple had a newborn.  I think bringing a newborn is much different than bringing a baby that is several months old.  I also think that most people view that much differently, at least I do.

Post # 16
1917 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I would tell them that you’re having an adults only reception.  I think it’s fine for them to either make the decision to leave their kid with a sitter or miss your wedding.

The topic ‘1 month old at a No Kids Wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors