(Closed) 1. Need your opinion !

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: What do you think of a photographer working less than $500 for an all day coverage?
    He might be a non professional / second job / studient : (21 votes)
    38 %
    He's just cheap, I don't think it's strange : (1 votes)
    2 %
    If he's a professionel I think it's strange to work cheaper than the average cost, so I don't trust : (16 votes)
    29 %
    He might be a professional but not "very talented" so he works cheap : (11 votes)
    20 %
    I'm looking for the best price so he's for me! : (2 votes)
    4 %
    I don't care the price, if he's a good photographer I don't ask myself why he's cheaper than others : (4 votes)
    7 %
    Other : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    5670 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

I would wonder why he is so cheap. You get what you pay for right? If most people are running thousands of dollars and someone will do it for $500 then I would be very hesitant. However if in the area most photographers are around a $1,000 then the $500 wouldn’t completely through me off.

Post # 4
    16216 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

I would just very closely look at his work, talk to referrals, and ask to see work from an entire wedding day (not just featured photos in an album). Some people find amazing steals with talented photogs. And some quality work can be done by students, etc. But I would approach the whole situation with caution.

Post # 5
    394 posts
    Helper bee

Photographer’s that are shooting full weddings (esp. with products included) are usually not truly a professional (by the business end of things). There is far more to being a professional photographer that just taking a few pictures and editing them. A photographer that is running a legit business (much like any other business) usually has overhead to take into consideration. Liability insurance, business licenses, equipment insurance, camera equipment and upkeep, as well as utilizing print and album companies exclusive to professional photographers only. If a photographer is charging very little for their products, usually it is because they are just printing them at the local drug store photo lab on cheap paper instead of the high quality archival papers that only the professional photographers have access to (you have to have a business license to purchase from these companies). There is a world of difference on just the “business” end of things when it comes to a legit professional and someone that just thought it would be “cool” to start a photography “business” cause they like to take pictures. I like to cook, but i don’t go around calling myself a Professional chef.

At the same time, if the lower rate is because they are a student or are in their first year of business, it can actually be a decent deal. Just remember that you are really hiring a “Pro” you are hiring an up and comer. You might still get some good images at the sacrifice that they might miss some important shots because they are not adept to the faced and ever changing pace of a wedding. If this is the case always ask to see a printed portfolio and ask for a reference from either a past bride/groom or a photography teacher. 

Hope this helps. 

(a legally legit professional photographer/artist)

Post # 6
    7771 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

Why would it be a problem- if you like his work- go for it.

The topic ‘1. Need your opinion !’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors