more than two : (31 votes)
    20 %
    other : (2 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 3
    6473 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011 - Sydney, Australia

We went with more – depending on how long you need to be in the house, how many kids you’re interested in having in the future – it’s a tough decision!

Post # 4
    4150 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I think you need at least 2, especially when you have the baby.  We had 1.5 in our first place together, and it was a pain.  Mostly because we were always getting in each other’s way in our tiny full bathroom.  Also if you entertain a lot, or have company over, it’s nice for them to have their own full bathroom.  And when you have a kid, I imagine having a full bathroom for them will be much easier – bathtime, storing all their bath/toiletry items, etc.

EDIT:  We now have 3.5 bathrooms, which is obviously way too many for 2 people.  Our master bath has 2 sinks and a separate shower stall and tub which is really all we need for now, but we have guests over a lot, plus family coming to stay with us often, so those extra  bathrooms do come in handy.  We plan on living here for a while so with 2-3 kids in the future, I’m sure it’ll be worth it.

Post # 5
    2522 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

@BlueDolphin:  If you’re looking at house with a basement, you could always add a bathroom downstairs or even off of the kitchen depending on how much room/remodeling you want to do.  But yeah, more than 1 bathroom is so important to me when we have a family.  Right now it’s rough w/ 1 and there’s only two of us!

Post # 6
    3 posts

Well if it helps at all my Fiance and I bought a house last year and it only has one bathroom, although its an odd layout cause the shower and bathroom are in one little room the toilet is in its own room and the mirror and basin are in a seperate one, but they are all in one big room, if that makes sense ha ha. Honestly in Australia most people only have one bathroom, depending on the house and the price range. I’d say go for the house with one bathroom, it probably wont bother you as much as you think it will 🙂

Post # 7
    8353 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2011

Definately go with one and a half at the least if you can. It is nice to have one for yourselves and one for your guests. Also, when you add a child to the mix, it will be even nicer to have more than one, especially if you or your FH are giving the baby a bath and the other one needs to use the bathroom. We have two and a half and there are three of us here. When we have company, it is nice too because even with the extra bathrooms, there can sometimes be a wait. Also, if someone is taking a bath or a shower and someone else needs to use the bathroom, there is no waiting if you have more than one.

Post # 8
    1851 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I think for only 2 people, 1 bathroom is fine. We did it for a few years and it wasn’t so bad (although I did set up a getting ready area in our extra bedroom with a vanity and such so it wasn’t like I would be in the bathroom getting ready or anything). I think if you find a really great house in your budget that only has one bathroom you should go for it, but hopefully with a plan to add on a bathroom in a few years. 1 bathroom for any more than 2 people is such a mess.

Post # 9
    16216 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

If it comes down to your dream place having one bath instead of two, I say go for it. I know tons of people who make it work just fine. 🙂

Post # 11
    42 posts
    • Wedding: May 2010

When we were looking for houses a couple years ago, our real estate agent said it should be about $8000 to put in a half bath and then a few grand more to put in a full bath.  That estimate probably depends upon how close the location is to plumbing in the house, though. It may be cheaper for you to find a house with just 1 bath for now and then add one later if you have the space.  And adding bathrooms always mean adding more resale value if you sell again in the future. 

Post # 12
    916 posts
    Busy bee

I would love to have either 1.5 or 2 bathrooms at least cuz then you can each have your own space to get ready when you’re going out or you can have a guest bathroom. We’re stuck with 1 bathroom for awhile though while we’re renting.

Post # 13
    2767 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

2 is best, but if you can get at least 1.5 it would be better.  I always like to have guests using their own bathroom.  We only have 1 bathroom in our house now and I hate it when guests have to go in my bathroom and see all my stuff there.  

Post # 14
    47 posts
    • Wedding: May 2012

FH and I ended up getting an amazing house a few months ago that pretty much had everything we wanted…except more than one bath. We really really wanted to have at least 1.5 baths, like you, but were finding it was hard to do with our budget. We decided on the house we bought because it was updated and in a great location, was the style we wanted and was in great condition. Sometimes you have to make scacrifices.

When we started opening up our search to one bath houses, we made sure to look for areas in the house where a bath could eventually be added. In a year or two we want to put a bath upstairs and make a “master suite” in our home.

Anyway, if youre not finding what you’re looking for, that’s my suggestion. Start looking at one bath homes but only consider the ones where you could eventually add another bath. The cost of adding a modest 1/2 or 3/4 bath is probably less than it would cost to buy the same house with two baths already in it. And then you get to make it the way you want it!

Post # 15
    822 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

I think it depends on personal preference.  Will it be a house you hope to be in for a long time?  Or a for-now house?

Our house has one bathroom with a separate toilet but for us that is fine as there are just the 2 of us.  

We brought our current house 4 years ago as a do-it-upper and is not our dream home but it is fine for now.  We will look at buying a bigger house after the wedding, or when we start to have children and the plan is to rent this one out, so for now its perfect with just the 2 of us, but we would prefer more bathrooms for when a child comes along.

Post # 16
    10288 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

We have 2 full bathrooms and I can never go back to having just one. We each have our own and it’s nothing short of awesome.

The topic ‘1 or 2 bathrooms?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors