1 or 2 Photographers for a 100 person wedding?

posted 3 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 2
11740 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I had 1 photographer for a 130 person wedding, and had nearly 2000 photos at the end of the night.  I think two would be overkill.

Post # 3
4641 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I have 2 for a 60 person wedding.

Post # 4
1432 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I think it also depends on the size of your bridal party and whether you want shots with family members. There are certain shots, like first look and the walk down the aisle, where its best to be able to capture the moment from two angles.

Post # 5
2134 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

We’re having 2 photographers for a 125-140 person wedding. When we met with our photographer, he assured us that he takes all the formal shots and follows the VIP people around during the reception (bride/groom, family, bridal party) while his assistant takes photos of the rest of the guests. I’d say that if you want a lot of pictures of the party – the other guests, cocktail hour, etc., then 2 might be worth it. If not, stick with 1. I think 1 would be fine, to be honest, although I’m glad we’re having 2.

Post # 6
2428 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Go for the 2nd photographer. One person can’t be in two places at the same time, and there’s bound to be things missed. I don’t think you’d regret it!

Post # 7
4441 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall

Jewelieee:  We had 2 photogs for a 105 person wedding.  1 was with the girls when we got ready, 1 was with the guys.  Then before the ceremony 1 was with the bridal party, 1 was at the venue.  At the reception, 1 ran a DIY photo booth while the other got dancing, etc. pics. 

Also 2 photogs is priceless during the first look!!

However, make sure your 2nd photog is a decent photog.  Ours was pretty terrible, and most of her pics were junk compared to our 1st photog.

Post # 8
613 posts
Busy bee

We are usuing 1 for a 100ish person wedding a good schedule and a photographer with expirence will go a long way! our photographer had almost 30 years of wedding experience he also did a friends bigger wedding alone and he didnt miss a thing I cant wait

Post # 10
11740 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Jewelieee:  To be honest, I didn’t care about photographs of the guys getting ready.  I don’t miss them, and I don’t think they are necessary.  Our photographer met with me at the hotel as hair and makeup finished, I got in my dress, we did first look photos, bridal party photos, ceremony, and then she handled the reception on her own.

Post # 11
10748 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

I’d go for two. With two you get different angles and different perspectives, and obviously they can be in two places at once! Cover your butt and get the second guy. 

Post # 12
5017 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

Jewelieee:  We are having one photographer for the whole wedding + a second photographer for four hours. Our main photog suggested we have the 2nd to capture things such as the ceremony, the first dance, etc. She will be staying for 4 hours starting at the ceremony time and then leaving way before the reception is over (the main one will stay). 

Maybe this can be an option for you as well? I believe the added price was about $400. 

Post # 13
3959 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Jewelieee:   I have two photographers for a 50-60 guest wedding.  It isn’t about the number of images, it is the angles and different views you will get – and the getting ready shots, our first look and guest arrival – we want as many angles as possible.  I wouldn’t consider having just one shooter.  

Post # 14
788 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

One unless you really want photos of cocktail hour, etc. I shoot solo and I’ll get 10 angles, you’d never know I didnt have a second. My second is only added when its a large event or the couple wants getting ready at different locations etc. An experienced solo will get all the ‘angels’. 100 guest wedding is fairly small.

Its really up to you and the coverage you want.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  .
Post # 15
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

Jewelieee:  We’re having 2 with a similar number of guests. I think you can definitely get away with 1 but it just depends which moments you want to capture (i.e. bride and groom prep etc) it also means you can capture things like the brides entrance and the grooms reaction at the same time.. I don’t think its the end of the world just having 1 (If i’d found the perfect photographer who worked alone it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker) it’s just a bonus ours work as a duo! (husband + wife team).

If its only a minimal additional cost you might as well but if its significant, I wouldn’t worry! Other option is they’ll often let you have the second photographer for half the day so it reduces the cost 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors