1 Pound a Week?! Future Humpty Dumpty?!

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
2256 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

BohoMama: One pound a week sounds about right! For women of normal BMI pre-pregnancy, the recommended gain is around 30 pounds, typically 5 pounds during the first trimester than around a pound a week during trimesters 2 and 3. I am 5’8″ and was 142 pre-pregnancy; I gained 29 pounds total – 5 in my first trimester and 24 in my last 2 trimesters. That said, everyone is different and as long as you eat healthy, more than likely your body will dictate how much you gain or don’t gain. Good luck to you in the remainder of your pregnancy!

Post # 3
3697 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

My doctor has never given me a specific number of how much weight to gain.

I am currently 22w3d pregant and 5’6″. I actually lost about 10 pounds durin 1st trimester (due to morning sickness and all I wanted to eat was fruit and vegetables). When I went last week for my appointment at 21 weeks, I had just gotten back to my preregnancy weight. So at this point, I’ve gained nothing, or possibly 1 pound. I asked my OB about it and he smiled and lauhed at me 🙂 Said that as long as the baby is growing normally (which he/she is), then all was fine. That I would gain as I needed it and all was well.

Post # 4
8483 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I think it averages out to around a pound per week but it’s not really like that.  You don’t need to gain 13 lbs in the first 13 weeks.  Most people lose weight, don’t gain any, or only gain 5 lbs or so in the first trimester. After that a lb a week is pretty accurate.  But it’s normal for it to fluctuate a bit, 2 lbs this week, .5 lbs the next, etc.

If you’re at a normal BMI the recommendation is 25-35 lbs.  But I really believe you will gain what your body needs, assuming you aren’t restricting calories or going crazy.  Just eat when you’re hungry.  After 20 weeks they will start measuring you at every appointment and as long as baby is healthy I wouldn’t worry about trying to meet a weight goal.

Anyway, I’m 6′ (160 pre pregnancy) and I was due yesterday and I have gained about 38 lbs.  I really don’t eat that much or excessively and I worked out throughout most of my pregnancy, it just seems to be what my body wanted to do.  It increased a bit when I stopped working out as much after 30 weeks though.  My OB has never mentioned weight to me.

Post # 5
810 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I’m 12 weeks and have gained right at 5-6 pounds so far. Sadly the only foods that sounded good and I could eat without regretting were greasy, fatty, starchy foods. I started out overweight at 165 (5’4) so I really need to not gain that much weight or I’ll feel like a cow by the end. I’m close to my heaviest ever weight and am really worried about going past it. I know it’s totally different being pregnant than being overweight without baby, but still. I don’t want to break 200 as I’d probably cry, and it can’t be healthy for me or baby. Now that I’m feeling better (most of the time) and the weather is getting nicer I’m trying to get out and be more active to maybe counteract my bad food and that inevitable weight gain. My OB has also not said a specific weight gain or range to me.

Post # 6
3047 posts
Sugar bee

I’m only 6 weeks today, and so far I’ve not gained any weight (start weight ~125 lb, height 5’4). Based on these measurements I’ve used a couple of online calculators to estimate where I’ll eventually land:

I’m a very healthy eater, so my guess is that I’ll end up towards the lower end of the spectrum. If I were you, I would do a few calculations to get an idea of what’s considered normal, decide what you feel comfortable with and then not care too much about what your doctor said!

Post # 8
151 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

BohoMama:  I started out exactly the same as you – 5’1″ and 115lb. My CNM gave me the same guidelines, to gain about 25-30 lb over the course of my pregnancy, but she also was very laid back about it — “try to eat well and you should gain a healthy amount for you.”

I am almost 17 weeks and up to 123. I actually gained 6lb in the first trimester and now have only gained 2lb in the last month, probably because I’ve had more time to eat better and I’ve been able to keep down healthy meals, not just bread.

*shrug* Bodies, they do what’s right for them. Some women put on fat, some just gain baby+fluid.

Post # 9
1734 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1998

The recommendation is 25 – 35 pounds for women of normal weight; so, by the time you find out you’re pregnant, you’re usually 4 – 5 weeks. It would make sense to gain one pound a week for the remainder of the time.

That said, I’m 9 1/2 weeks and down a pound, but I’m also starting out with a lot extra.

Post # 10
1752 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Yep, that sounds about right.  Everyone responds a little differently though.  Some weeks you won’t gain anything, other weeks will have a bigger pop.  As long as you’re eating well and taking prenatals, your body will do what it needs to do.

Post # 11
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Rather than viewing it as a pound per week, look at it in terms of trimesters.

The first trimester, I think it’s expected that at the most, you should gain around 5lbs.<br /> You may even lose weight due to morning sickness.

The rest of the weight will come in the 2nd and 3rd tri. So long as your eating healthy, try not to focus on the numbers so much.

Post # 12
1648 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2000

Girl I hear ya!  I gained 5lbs the first trimester and at first, had a hard time coming to terms w/the whole 25-35lb total weight gain because I thought I was going to blow up like a beached whale.  I do like this breakdown below because it makes me realize weight gain is necessary and I’m not just gaining weight to get fat:

<h3>Where Does the Extra Weight Go During Pregnancy?</h3>

• Baby: 8 pounds
  • Placenta: 2-3 pounds
  • Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
  • Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
  • Blood supply: 4 pounds
  • Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
  • Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
  • Total: 25-35 pounds

Post # 14
3806 posts
Honey bee

BohoMama:  she’s your doctor. your asking untrained, unspecialized women if your doctor is right.

let that marinate.

if your doctor said you should, then you should. this is about your baby. trust me, i know how you feel. i was a pretty healthy athletic size and weight pre-pregnancy and looking at the scale in the earlier weeks (i’m 21 weeks now) agitated me to no end. it really bothered me. but i just got over the hump and now i’m entering into the phase of selflessness. my body is not my own right now. the baby needs what the baby needs. just eat healthy, drink water, and exercise but don’t try to maintain your non-pregnant body for the sake of vanity. it’s really the wrong way to go.

Post # 15
957 posts
Busy bee

TaurianDoll:  The OP didn’t say she was trying to keep her pre-pregnancy body… 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors