+1 situation. Need HELP.

posted 3 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
524 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@nearly_mrs_griffiths:  We’re in a situation kind of similar to this, but a bit worse, and I refuse to invite the girlfriend. If neither of you want that person there then I’d make it clear that she is not invited. Does his friend know how you two feel about her?

I’m sure a lot of people will say that it’s the kind thing to do to invite her and that you should, but I think if you two feel that strongly about her then don’t. Truthfully, it’s your wedding, invite who you want to.

I guess it all boils down to truly how badly/if his friend will actually come if you don’t invite her, and do you think she’ll do something to ruin your wedding?

Post # 4
402 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@nearly_mrs_griffiths:  Unfortunately I think you’ve got to invite her.  As much as you might dislike her, and for good reason it seems, he means something to your FI’s best friend, and it would be rude to invite him alone knowing he’s in a relationship with her.  Not only that but it could do irrevocable damage to your FI’s relationship with his best friend.  You guys may not like her, but he is important to you, and therefore him  having a good time at your wedding is likely also important to you.

If she comes, just stop by and say hello to her to be polite, but there is no need to spend your time engaging with her.

Post # 7
402 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@nearly_mrs_griffiths:  That sort of changes the situation.  What does FI want to do?  Is it more important to him to invite another family member or is it more important to have his best friend in the wedding?  Also, is this friend a groomsmen or the BM? 

If the guy is a groomsman I think you really have got to invite her, as he is doing your FI a favor by being in the wedding, paying for the tux, and planning a bachelor party, I assume.  If not, though, you have a leg to stand on with him for a reason to not invite her.  Are you inviting SO’s of other unmarried friends?

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors