(Closed) 1 year +….then what?

posted 5 years ago in TTC
Post # 4
5109 posts
Bee Keeper

@PilotsGirl56:  Tests to determine what the problem is, and based on that problem (MFI, anov, PCOS, whatever) a course of action is determined.

Some are started on Metformin, some are given diets to follow, some are found to have blocked tubes and undergo surgery, some are given a low dose of Clomid, some are given a high dose. And if the issue is MFI, sometimes you’re given the “IVF+ICSI” discussion right off the bat.

Post # 5
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

The first thing we tried was progesterone/Clomid since I had long cycles. I was able to do this with my regular OB/GYN.

Post # 7
4510 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@PilotsGirl56:  

First thing, tests. For us (and I think these are common) this meant: blood work, hysterosalpingogram (to check your fallopian tubes are clear), saline hysterogram (to check your uterus), and semen analysis (for him!).

Then, results. Your treatment will really depend on your diagnosis. Again for us, this was a diagnosis of PCOS, possible arcuate uterus, and high percentage of abnormally-shaped sperm (DH).

You will likely be put on some kind of medication, and your doctor will monitor you closely (via vaginal ultrasounds) to check that your ovarian follicles are developing nicely. When she sees that it’s about time for you to ovulate, you’ll either do IUI or intercourse, depending on what the results of your tests dictate. You might start at IVF, too — I don’t have any experience with that.

Anyway, I found the whole thing to be not bad at all. It was a lot of testing & a looot of monitoring, but I felt inspired & hopeful because action was being taken & a doctor was getting to the bottom of the problem.

Post # 8
622 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - Vandiver Inn

The first thing that’s going to happen are some tests. A basic blood test for you and a SA for your husband. If those are clear, you’ll move on to more advanced testing until they find (or fail to find) an issue. Treatment is determined after your RE knows what the obstancles are. So really, no one can say what your first step beyond testing will be. It all depends on what is found.

Post # 9
1226 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Completely agree with Mrs. Lox… It will all depend on your particular situation. They will start with tests (for me it was semen analysis for DH and blood tests for me) and then go from there.

Post # 10
2000 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I started out with tests right as we started trying. I was diagnosed with PCOS and told I could start clomid whenever I wanted. Here are the steps we took.

1. 6 months of trying to lose weight and get healthy in hopes of getting my cycle back. (it didn’t work)

2. Two months off before starting clomid. (This is when Mr. B got his SA)

3. Three rounds of unmonitored clomid. Ovulated, but no BFP.

4. Switched doctors to one who performed IUIs and did four rounds of Femara (letrozole). I didn’t respond. Took a couple months off here and there in between. (This is when I had an HSG — injecting dye through your tubes to make sure they’re clear)

5. One natural cycle IUI

6. One more round of clomid while waiting to start injectables. (started with an RE and got more bloodwork)

7. Two rounds of injectable medication + IUI

And the second time, we got our BFP! It took about 2 years from start to finish.

Post # 11
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Like everyone said, the testing totally depends on each individual situation.  Here’s what we went through:

I got tested as soon as we started trying b/c I have VERY irregular to no cycle on my own. 

1. Bloodwork with my GYN.  Determined to have PCOS

2. 2 rounds of femara and 1 round of clomid with GYN with no response.

3. Referred to RE

4. Did an HSG on me (tubes were all clear!) and an SA on DH

5. DH was found to have no sperm in his ejaculate so we took steps to diagnose and fix that (he had a blockage that was able to be fixed surgically)

6. 2 Rounds of injectable meds w/ timed intercourse followed by progesterone

7. 1 round of injectable meds w/ IUI followed by progesterone – BFP

Most GYN’s will only do so much testing and so many rounds of meds before referring you to an RE.  Mine only did bloodwork and 3 rounds of the oral meds.  For me, this was the best thing ever.  It was my RE that caught DH’s issues and was able to fix mine.
If you’re only on round 3, try not to focus on the next 9 months as if it won’t happen.  For some people it just takes some time.  I want to say there’s only a 30% of conception each month for healthy, fertile couple.

The topic ‘1 year +….then what?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors