1 year + TTC / TTC with Infertility

posted 3 weeks ago in TTC
Post # 91
2926 posts
Sugar bee

sleepymelis :  I had to have heaps of tests run once but I kept fainting so I had to go back the next day to have the rest taken lol. I think they took like 7 vials. It was like getting blood out of a stone. I have crappy little ninja veins as well, so that doesn’t help.

I have to ask to lay down for all blood tests, I would end up on the floor if I sat in the chair!

Yeah, that’s what I thought too, men also have hormones, why aren’t they tested!? Or can they just tell something is off just by testing sperms!?

Post # 92
349 posts
Helper bee

RaccoonKitty :  Yup, they can basically tell by looking at the count, motility and morphology if all is ok. If there is something off with the Sperm sample, like a really low count or whatever, I think then they do further tests like checking their testosterone, fsh etc to see if a hormone imbalance is causing the low count or whatever. Sometimes they may check for blockages if there is no sperm in the sample. 

So ya, if the sperm sample is all good, thats all that needs to be done for the men! 

Post # 93
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

RaccoonKitty :  LOL @ ninja veins 😂 ugh, what an ordeal. The things we do to ourselves for all of this… 🙄

Post # 94
16 posts
Newbee

Not roll calling yet bc we are trying to get all the known infertility issues squared away before we begin TTC in May, but I’ve been to an RE and had about a bajillion tests run so hopefully it’s ok that I’m here.

RaccoonKitty :  I’m extremely squimish and hate needles. No joke, the first round of bloodwork my RE ordered was 16 vials.  I had an awesome lab tech but both she and my SO were concerned about the color (or lack thereof) of my face after the first few. I feel for you, I’m sorry you fainted!

Also, they tested my SO’s thyroid so he did have to have some blood drawn too.

Post # 95
8086 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

MrsG2BIre :  yeah this is my impression too. If the sperm are there and looking good there isn’t much more to worry about.

With us there are so many steps that can go wrong it takes a lot of testing to figure out what’s happening. And this is why I think while, yes, mom and dad can be equal partners in parenting.. so long as the fetus/baby is inside mom it’s her call because it’s her body working miracles to make this happen. 

Post # 97
8086 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Dr_dazzle :  oh nice that there was a second follicle!!

Post # 99
8086 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Dr_dazzle :  why wouldn’t it help your chances? 2 eggs means you have a higher chance of at least one taking, right?

Post # 101
8086 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Dr_dazzle :  that’s impossible. Like if 2 eggs are released and each has a chance of implanting then yes there is a chance they both implant but there is also a greater chance at least ONE of them does.. right?

Post # 102
343 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Dr_dazzle :  glad to hear about 2nd follicle. Good luck! Not too sure about spiky cervix, maybe just irritated like you say.

Post # 104
326 posts
Helper bee

Bees, can I vent? We are in the initial stages of infertility workup and DH got his SA done the other day. Logistics for getting the results are a little complex and we can either 1) wait until our next RE appt in 3 weeks or 2) have him go sign a release form at the lab, which is not very much out of his way from work. Well, obviously I want to know right away… esp because per our RE, the results of his SA will determine whether I need an HSG or another kind of diagnostic test that they use before IVF. So waiting until our appt in 3 weeks to know the results means a delay in scheduling whichever workup I would need.

My DH gets annoyed and starts telling me I shouldn’t “be so anxious” and doing all these “unnecessary” things instead of just dealing with the results at our next appt. He says I’m making HIM anxious.  He talks about how it’s totally fine with him even if, worst case, it takes several years to conceive. Well, TTC is my #1 goal right now and why would I wait 3 weeks to get results (that would then impact MY testing & options) if he could get them pretty easily via a trip to that lab?

Post # 105
349 posts
Helper bee

amanda1988 :  Exactly. And even if its male factor thats preventing a couple conceive, and the issue cant be resolved with meds (which it can be quite often be if its not too severe), the woman still needs to go through lots of tests as ultimately male factor is usually overcome with ivf with icsi, which the woman actually has to go through. I found with our consultant he was so focused on me only, even though dh’s numbers werent too great. Dh was totally overlooked…was told sperm looked all good. It was through online resources I discovered all wasnt great, albeit normal. But low normal and not optimal for natural conception.  

So ya, its definitely the woman that gets all the tests whether the issue is with her or not! Like you said, its our bodies that are working miracles to make this happen! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors