(Closed) 10 day fast

posted 8 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
403 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Have you done any research on this?  Are you really planning on consuming nothing but water?  That can’t be healthy.  Most religious fasts that last for extended periods of time allow for the consumption of certain items at certain times.  Perhaps you have done your research and know that it’s not dangerous… but sounds scary to me.

Post # 4
529 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Besides water and an energy drink, what else are you planning on consuming?  I think most fasts that last more than 24 hours include juices or teas.  It’s not healthy to just stop consuming calories for days.

Post # 5
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

oh no! please don’t do anything rash! If you look into most religious fasts, you’ll see that you are allowed to eat small portions of bread at certain intervals. I think 10 days is quite a long time to consume nothing but water or 5 hr. energy. I fear that only consuming these two things for 10 days will certainly “shock” your system. The “enlightenment” that comes through fasting is usually due to malnurishment and dehydration as a result of extreme starvation. Not to mention working out on top of that – what happens if you pass out during your cardio routine? Will someone be there with you who is qualified to give you medical attention? I admire your willpower and how adamant you are about this, but there are MUCH SAFER methods of experience the same spirituality you seek, and certainly more consistent methods of weight loss. Please consider your health and rethink your plan before you begin this – it’s awfully hard to plan a wedding from a hospital bed! 

Post # 6
433 posts
Helper bee

I’m no doctor.. but I’m pretty sure this will have horrible effects on your body. You need something besides 5 hour energies to keep your body functioning. If you are set on no solid food atleast drink fruit juices or something.  

Post # 7
2015 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

The only “fasts” I’ve done include being able to eat 🙂 Otherwise, I would get sick … literally, as in pass out. I’ve done a five-day fast of eating only fruits, veggies and limited whole grains (with one small portion of salmon for dinner), and after five days, I was proud of myself, but like, really tired. I did it for digestive health reasons, and do it about 2-3 times a year to re-regulate myself.

Not eating anything, though, yikes … that’s scary. Please be careful, especially while working out!

Post # 8
2867 posts
Sugar bee

WHY are you doing this? If it’s for religious purposes and you’d be using that time for reflection then I can understand. But even then you should consume something more than energy drinks.

I’m assuming since this is posted under “fitness” and you’ll still be doing cardio that it’s not religiously motivated. Usually those fasts mean that many hours a day is spent in prayer.

Have you consulted a doctor? Lack of proper nutrition effect brain functions and at the very least you could pass out.

Fasting just to fast is not healthy or safe.

Post # 9
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Please talk to your doctor before doing this!

Honestly, it sounds in NO WAY healthy to not eat for 10 days, take a bunch of stimulants (5 hour energy), and still work out. I also doubt that continuing to do cardio could fool your body into believing its had sufficient food and therefore keep your metabolism up.

What kind of enlightenment are you looking for? Maybe we can find a way to help, without you denying your body the fuel it needs. 🙁

Post # 10
1585 posts
Bumble bee

Most fasts usually allow you to drink a clear broth soup or veggie pureed soup or something of the sort.  If you do not get enough sodium during these days you can die.  Water and 5 hour energy is a sure way to get a first class ticket to the Emergency Room!

I would seriously recommend that you do not do this.  If you are interested in doing a fast the correct way, I would book an appointment with a nutritionsist so you can map out a healthy way to clense.

Post # 12
2821 posts
Sugar bee

I think you should do a little more research.  Many people across the globe do not do water fasts for 10 days in any religion.  When they say fast sometimes it means restricting diet to certain times a day or cutting out certain products.  Most religious water fasts are for no longer than a day or two. 

Post # 13
2280 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I can’t imagine what it would be like to fast for forty days in the dessert. :O

I’ve participated in the 30 Hour Famine every year since I was old enough to do it (because so many people don’t fast by choice). I guarantee you, you will be really, really hungry by tonight and there’s no way you’ll make it ten days without any food at all. You’ll just collapse. Like others have said, extended fasts like that do involve food. You should probably rethink your definition of fasting. 

Post # 14
2867 posts
Sugar bee

@sweetpea1031: My mistake. I guess the way you mentioned that it wouldn’t hurt to lose a few pounds plus the continued exercising gave me the wrong impression.

However, I do think that you need to have a better plan than just not eating for 10 days. If you’re looking for enlightenment then do you have some sort of meditation guide that you will be using?

What you described just seemed like a fast without a purpose – people who fast for spiritual growth don’t just abstain from food and become “enlightened”. Rather they spend time in quiet reflection and/or prayer. To say that you’ll still be going out with friends but not eating is kind of missing the point of a fast for spiritual growth.

The topic ‘10 day fast’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors