(Closed) 10 days before, and theyre f'ing us over. HELP!!

posted 6 years ago in Venue
Post # 3
3771 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Brookfield Zoo

If the food hasn’t been prepared yet, can the money that would have gone to the now unattending 40-ish plates go to other stuff, like decorations or nicer tableware/napkins/etc??  I know that’s how my venue does it (at least from what I understand); you have a dollar minimum to meet contractually based on the plate per head, however if people don’t show up that money can go towards other things the venue can provide.

Post # 4
2866 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

No venue ( besides a VFW type hall that you bring your own food into) is going to let you take the food home. That is for insurances purposes and on that topic nothing can be done. The only thing I would think you can do is if you need to meet a food and beverage minimum possibly cutting the 40 heads you are losing and meet your minimum by upping the bar or having more apps etc. However if you signed a contract they aren’t obligated to let you do that.

Post # 5
4433 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Honestly i’m sorry to say, but unless they are willing to forgo what was said in the contract (which I highly doubt) then you are under contractual obligation to provide funds for atleast 175 guests…even if that means they won’t be attending.

If venues didn’t abide by their contract every time this happend then they would be “out of money’…

It just doesn’t happen in the real world that businesses would help in any way to be honest…atleast not in my area.

I would ask if you could pay for maybe half of the difference instead of 175 soooo since you’re at 137…how about pay for 19 extra guests instead of 38?

This shows you’re willing to work with them…

Sorry to hear about the loss in your extended family.

Post # 6
963 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I agree with PP. See if you can use the extra money to upgrade something. See if you can upgrade the bar or add an extra app or entree. There’s no way that you can actually get the money back, but maybe if you tell them you understand that, they’ll be willing to work with you to make the money goes towards things your guests will actually use.

Post # 7
2616 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

or if you need the 40 people to come invite on face book lol. jk. ask to have them spend the 40 plates on more drinks on the bar so so that food is just not wasted was there anyone on a b or c list that didnt get on the main list>

Post # 8
4433 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@asianyoushi:  I was going to mention a “B” list…but seeing as it is already a slightly tacky move…it would be even more so if it were 9 days before the wedding.

Post # 9
2009 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’m sorry, thevenue is in the right.  It’s not their problem you didn’t read or understand the contract you signed.

That is why they have contracts so that everyone is on the same page and what you agreed upon is protected.

Post # 11
8164 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m sorry this is happening but that really is what the contract is for. Maybe they would agree to upgrade your bar or appetizers instead of just losing the money?

Post # 12
963 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@futureJNS:  Some venues do allow you to take food home (mine did), but many don’t. There’s potential for insurance liability, so some venues are not willing to take the risk.

I think the first thing you have to do in this situation is stop expecting the venue to change their rules for you. If they can make a small exception like allowing you to upgrade your food or bad, that’d be great, but they aren’t obligated to do so.

Post # 13
4479 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@futureJNS:  Try seeing if those extra 40 can go towards drinks or something.  And call them ASAP, before they order all the food.

I’m sorry about this.  While they’re in the right contract-wise, their attitudes stink.  Definitely write a review on that.

Post # 14
9143 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

I would ask them to upgrade your options for less guests.  That way they get their money as promised in the contract but you get more out of it; they should be able agree to this and if not, they are not a very honest or accommodating company.  It’s disappointing that so many will be unable to attend but I can also understand the venue’s point of view as well.

Post # 15
412 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@futureJNS:  I agree with PP and would ask if the money can be applied elsewhere like a top shelf liquor or to an extra passed app or something like that.  We had to sign to an amont of people when we signed our contract (which was 2 years in advance) but they specifically told us if that many poeple didn’t come, the money could be applied to wherever we wanted it to be.

Post # 16
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Sorry, but that is pretty standard. When you signed your contract you were guaranteeing 175 guests. We were allowed to take our no shows’ dinners home though. No idea what a VFW hall is either…

The topic ‘10 days before, and theyre f'ing us over. HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors