(Closed) 10 hours to work with, what to do?

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Its important to capture
    getting ready , ceremony , photo shoot and some of reception : (26 votes)
    100 %
    Ceremony - end of the night : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    1486 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I always love getting ready photos.  A lot of the time it is not too expensive to add an hour or so of shooting time if you really can’t decide! 

Post # 4
    5494 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2011

You really don’t need them to stay until the end of the reception. After the cake is cut, there’s really nothing else to take pics of.  We’re having the photographer come during the last 30 minutes of getting ready and we have them for 10 hours. 

Post # 5
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

Photos of people partying and dancing all start to look the same after a while, so you won’t really feel like you’re missing anything if you just lop the last one or two hours off the back of the reception in favor of the getting ready photos you want 🙂

Post # 6
    171 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: February 2009

You want to front load the time as much as possible. I would say with ten hours, you should be able to do almost all of it, though.

Post # 7
    7695 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

We didnt have a photographer while we were getting our hair and make up done. They got there soon after I got back from my hair and make up appointment. There are some pictures of me putting on my lipstick and mascara while still in my getting ready outfit. Then they took pictures of me getting into my dress. We had them stay until the end of our reception becauase we were having an awesome getaway that I wanted to be captured on camera. We left our reception by boat and had a sparkler exit. If you are doing some sort of grand exit, I would have your photographer there until the end of the reception. Also, we did our bouquet and garter toss only minutes before our reception ended so that wouldnt have been photographed had they left early. To me, the reception pictures were more important than the pictures of me getting my hair done. However, if I had gotten my photographer for 10 hours they would have been able to get everything.

Post # 8
    5670 posts
    Bee Keeper

If the photographer starts you miss all the pictures of you getting into your gown and all of the little details before the day begins. I loved the pictures of me before the ceremony. Not to be cocky but I think I look more beautiful on my wedding day that I ever have in my life and I love having those pictures. And also the relaxed pictures of me and my mom and grandma or of my bridesmaids and flower girls.

The pictures I loved the most that I will use in my album were all the details from our reception and the beginning half. I don’t think I picked many pictures from the end our our reception.

Post # 9
    7695 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@roxy821: I guess thats a good point. I did a lot of work on our album last night and there are a lot of getting ready pictures but not many pictures from the end of our reception.

Post # 10
    171 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: February 2009

If you are having an extensive exit, it is better to stage this earlier in the night for photos.

I’ve seen extensive exits that fizzled out because people begin leaving the reception after the cake is cut. Then, as more people leave, more people start to leave. Then the staff starts subtle clean up and people go. And then it is the bride, groom, family, and about 20 people with sparklers or whatever instead of 200.

Post # 11
    1263 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I don’t know why but I have my heart set on getting ready photos! We have our photographer for 6 hours day of, so I think I am going to have her show up at 4 to take some getting ready photos and some separate group shots (bride with bridesmaids, groom with groomsmen) so after the ceremony (it starts at 5:30) we won’t have to spend too much time taking pictures. We will have our venue until 11pm, but because her 6 hours will be up at 10 we are going to stage an early send-off. I want a sparkler send-off and have to have pictures of it! The only people who will still be there at 10pm are good friends and close family so I don’t think anyone will think anything of it. Also, as pp stated, you could always ask to purchase a couple more hours if you really need them. My photographer charges $200 per hour beyond what the package offers but I just don’t think the very end of the reception is that important.

The topic ‘10 hours to work with, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors