10 month engagement?

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
26 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@MissJEM1984:  ABSOLUTELY reasonable!!! We are getting married 8 months after our engagement and it’s totally do-able. Just have to make decisions quicker but if you have a good planner or know what you want- go for it! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Honestly. 

Post # 4
951 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@MissJEM1984:  Definitely!  Ours will have been a 9 month engagement.  We had issues with available venues because we were going for a summer wedding and those book about 1 year in advance, but I feel like fall might be easier to sort that out.  Plenty of time!  Good luck and have fun!  🙂

Post # 5
5697 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Yes, people plan nice weddings in less than 6 months, you have PLENTY of time. But you better get on it! 🙂

Post # 6
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Hi @MissJEM1984:  As this is your DEBUT post on WBee… a BIG Welcome to “the Hive”

It is certainly do-able… but how difficult will depend a lot on how big is the Wedding going to be (Guest List) and how many details you wish to incorporate

One Week in and how much work have you done so far… you need to be solidly working towards the following elements:

• Date
  • Venue
  • Budget
  • Guest List

As they all depend on one another so you can move on with more details (such as Order / Send out Save The Dates, if you plan to use them)

Post # 7
1599 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

We did 8 months, but really didnt do anything except pick a date and venue for the first 2 months (so basically 6 mos total.)  It was absolutely fine.

Post # 8
676 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I think it’s completely possible, my best friend planned hers in about 9 months and it was a destination wedding.  Just make sure you are diligent with your planning.  

Post # 9
292 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

@MissJEM1984:  

Absolutely do-able and reasonable.

Unless you are doing a ridiculously extravagant/DIY wedding for a huge guest list or you are absolutely set on a particular venue that just doesn’t have a date you want, 10 months is more than enough time.

I planned my wedding in 10 months, and quite honestly, could’ve done it in half amount of time – but my wedding is on a smaller, intimate side, so for a more average size, i’d say 10 months is ideal.

Post # 10
70 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

We got engaged December 3, 2012. Did 0 planning until March and got married on December 8, 2013, so 9 months. Completely doable. We did a lot of DIY too. I wasn’t too stressed until about a month before, but I think that happens to everyone 🙂

Post # 11
5192 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@MissJEM1984:  I think that’s not only an adequate amount of time, I think it’s the PERFECT amount of time.

IMHO many brides cause themselves grief by taking too long to plan.  There is just no reason to spend 1.5-2 years actively planning your weddding (not just engaged and not doing anything, but actively booking vendors and making decisions).

I did mine in 5 months.  That was pretty tight, but good.  I think that someething in the 9 month range is just perfect.  If you give yourself too much time you’ll second guess decisions, consider too many options, have trends change after you book things, etc.  Save yourself some headache and get it done.

Oh, and my sister who WAS engaged for more than 2 years did litterally nothing for the first year and a bit.  Once she finally got started she spent 9 months in active planning adn she was SO FRIGGIN ready for that wedding to happen and be over.

Post # 12
771 posts
Busy bee

Im actually having a panic attack ( since jan 1st) we got engaged July 17 and our wedding is in October! Time freaking flew! I had my dress picked my end of August – small destination wedding and yet sooooo many details. My advice is do it quickly. budget – guest list and book venue ASAP and then there are just soooo many details. I’m kinda freaking out right now. Just getting the addresses in proper form ( etiquette and such) for 25 people has got me all flustered and we haven’t even touched planning the honeymoon. Ok maybe don’t listen to me because this wasn’t me 4 days ago… Just get a big list and start checking them off:) the fall is well worth the hustle:)

Post # 14
6525 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

@MissJEM1984:  10 months is more than enough time!! people plan a wedding in 6 months! Realistically, I was done planning my wedding in less than 6 months but I had a 22 month engagement due to finances. We had to save for both a wedding an an apartment ( we needed furniture, had to paint, along with the other extras that go with moving out!)

Post # 15
721 posts
Busy bee

no that timeline is about average. you will be fine as long as you get a checklist online and stay prompt on tasks.

Post # 16
2782 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@MissJEM1984:  I planned our wedding in just under 5 months.

Totally do-able, although one of my aunts commented on how hard it might be to plan a wedding that fast.

You have twice as much time as we had– and we had a formal wedding with 100 guests.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors