(Closed) 10 Month Honeymoon!!!

posted 8 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
1049 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 1998

Just jump in!! The key to these kinds of adventures isn’t that you can never be afraid. It’s that you can be afraid and still do it. Just try your best to drop all of your preconceived notions and soak in as much as you can wherever you go. And eat the food!! Some of the best food we had in Thailand and Japan was in the littlest back alleys and food carts you’d never think to check out. If there’s a long line of locals waiting for food, that’s where you want to be.

This is one of the coolest ideas I’ve ever heard. Good luck, have fun and don’t forget your passport!! 🙂

Post # 4
476 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I think all I can really say is “wow.”  I don’t know if I’m good for advice on this topic, but just try to focus on the wedding, it’s coming up pretty quick, and there’s plenty of time after the wedding to plan your honeymoon with your FI.

Post # 5
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

uhm – can i just say i’m jealous? i’ve planned so many trips it’s ridiculous.

yes, it’ll be scary to leave everything but you’ll come back, and maybe some of them can plan their own trips to meet up with you somewhere fun?

and THINK of all the experiences you’ll have!

edit: please have a blog that we can all stalk for pictures or something.

Post # 6
583 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m incredibly jealous!

As far as the stress of planning the trip, just plan a general outline, and only the first week in detail. Fill in the details as you go; that would be half of the fun of the trip anyway!

Post # 7
687 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Make your plans flexiable and don’t focus so much on the details of the trip. When you travel like that, you kind of have to go with the flow because you never know who you’ll meet, where you’ll be invited, or what will happen.

I would make a very rough plan of your trip, such as the cities you want to visit, possible accomodations, etc. Make sure you research each location and figure out what’s going on during that time period. (For example, will you be there during a major religious holiday where everything will be shut down for at least a week?)

With your trip planning, if you think of it as totally maliable that may take off some of the stress. Based on my experience with international travel, a flexable plan is always the best bet because you really never know what will happen or how you will feel. Maybe you’ll end up wanting to spend more time in one place and less in another. If you keep the idea as something that is fluid, you don’t have to get too caught up in the details or making firm decisions which, like with wedding planning, can be kind of stressful.

My two cents for what they’re worth.

Post # 8
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’m with ceamoste – Blog this like WOAH.

This is one of those times in life when you can plan all you want and you still won’t be able to come up with every contingency.  Just go with the flow, enjoy it, take plenty of pictures, journal it, be safe, and make sure you enjoy it.

This is an opportunity to meet people from different places and get in touch with who you are and how you want to live your life.  Fixate on being excited for it.  Don’t fixate on planning for it. 

Best of Luck!

Post # 9
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

AMAZING!

Just do it.  I agree, don’t over plan… best advice I received from here about traveling.

Do plan for emergencies… cause 10 months is a long time and unexpected things could come up that require you to come back home.  Just plan for an emergency ticket back.

Post # 11
1566 posts
Bumble bee

Wow that sounds like so much fun! What are your plans for after the honeymoon in terms of jobs, etc? I wanted to travel for a few months, but FI brought up all these issues, like: Who pays rent for our apt? If we move out, what do we do with all of our stuff? How do we get jobs afterwards since our old employers probably wouldn’t take us back after we quit? I’d be interested to know how you figured these out. 

Post # 12
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

We are doing this too!!! We want to go all around Asia for about 6 months! 🙂 We are dealing with the uncertainty of it all by making sure we have a serious nest egg that we absolutely won’t touch (ie it isn’t part of our travel budget). That way, when we land in the bay area upon returning (we are using this as our excuse to move from Boston to the bay area), we have a solid cushion if it takes us some time to find new jobs. We’re also planning on getting really good travel health insurance. Luckily, both my FI and I have traveled extensively for long periods of time (he did a year traveling the world by himself and many individual trips, i’ve been to almost 30 countries, almost a month at a time each for grad school). So, we feel pretty confident in being albe to land and hit the ground running in foreign places. Good luck! That is so exciting!

Post # 13
2703 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

all i can say is :O

jealous… i can’t even wrap my head around just picking and leaving for that long!

have a great time, learn lots, eat lots, and take in all the world has to offer!

Post # 14
5273 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

Yep agree with others, winging it is the best!

We traveled through Western Europe for 6 weeks (which is nothing compared to you) but pretty much didn’t plan anything & ended up finding the most charming places to eat & sleep (with the exception of a few nasty hostels lol!)

Also, don’t know excatly where you are going but the “Let’s Go” books are great! We would of missed out on some AMAZING places if it weren’t for that book!

The topic ‘10 Month Honeymoon!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors