(Closed) 10 Reasons to never accept a diamond

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
1815 posts
Buzzing bee

While some of those are good reasons, I still love diamonds.

essentially, useless hunks of rock‘ – that’s all relative.

Post # 5
5011 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@leafgum: Sorry, but the first is absolute bull puckies. The first diamond engagement ring on record is from 1477.

My diamond engagement ring was given to my grandmother on her engagement in 1946, again disproving your theory. My other granny’s amazing 5 stone diamond engagement ring was given to her the following year but was already at least 50 years old at that point (although I don’t know if it was an engagement ring initially).

While I do object to blood diamonds, there are alternatives in the form of conflict free diamonds (Canada, Australia and a number of other countries produce diamonds) or antiques like mine.

Moissanite, though very pretty, is currently overpriced due to a patent on it. Once that patent expires I will consider buying it but not before then.

Post # 6
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

@leafgum: They are very useful as a sharpening tool. Most automatic knife sharpeners use diamonds because they are one of the hardest substances in the world. They are also used on the tips of drills and diamond dust can be used as an industrial abrasive.

This seems like mainly a “pot stirring” or “my ring is better than yours” post, so I am not going to comment further.

Post # 7
7312 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

And many of those reasons could be applied to the metal that you used to set your moissanite. Diamonds aren’t the only thing that is mined, causes disputes with indegenous populations, have price manipulation issues, marketing ploys, etc. This entire list is a bit “holier than thou” and is designed to make people feel bad for their choice. How lovely.

Post # 9
9483 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

To each their own.  I don’t care about jewelry to begin with.  FI was given his great grandmother’s ring to use.  I accepted it.  It shows me that his family believes I am the one and they love me as well.  

Post # 10
2512 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I think these are all very interesting points but I see it like I see almost all the things we use in everyday life… from the clothes we wear to to couches we sit on. Even when theyre made in your own country, many of the materials are shipped to north america from other countries where (sadly) child labour and unfair work practices are common.

I would love to boycott all things that come from a shitty history like this but it would be impossible.  

Post # 11
2204 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

This should be titled, “10 Reasons to do your research before purchasing your diamond”

Not all diamonds come from conflict stones and I think its offensive to label women with diamonds as having been “conditioned” to want a diamond.

The 63 year old advertising referred to in #1 is the saying “A diamond is forever”, not the tradition of a diamond as an engagement ring. 

Soo…your research on proving if these “facts” are real is flawed.

Post # 12
1488 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

To each his own. I love my diamond and wouldn’t have it any other way. Long live happy brides with their dream engagment rings….whatever stone or rock that may be 🙂

Post # 13
9483 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

@tranquility: I was going to bring that up as well, but I didn’t want things to escalate.

Post # 15
5786 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

@leafgum: Diamonds have tons of practical uses outside of engagement rings. Something like 80% of diamonds are unsuitable for use in jewelry.

Post # 16
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

I don’t think diamonds are the only conflicted product we buy, not by a longshot. I think the reason they get so much attention is because they’re expensive and not everyone can afford one.

I agree that it’s all relative, to one person it might be a useless rock, but to people like me it’s a beautiful piece of jewelry I wear every day that reminds me of when my Darling Husband proposed.

And just because an advertising agency makes something popular doesn’t mean it isn’t traditional or special. It makes sense that the campaign worked because diamonds are beautiful.

The topic ‘10 Reasons to never accept a diamond’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors