RING BEARER : (6 votes)
    29 %
    JUNIOR GROOMSMAN : (15 votes)
    71 %
  • Post # 3
    208 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

He can hold the rings without holding onto a fluffy pillow and dressing too juvenile – there is nothing about a ring bearer that dictates he be a tiny little kid.  A groomsman is usually the one to carry the actual rings, anyhow!  I say give him whatever job, and call him by whichever title he likes the best.

Post # 4
    208 posts
    Helper bee

I should add, my wedding party will have  11 year old and 2 year old flower girls (the 11 year old likes the title better than Jr Bridesmaid),  the 3 boys, all around 10, will have various “page boy” duties, but 1 or 2 of them will be ring bearers.   They like the title of ring bearer because it’s a specific job, but I imagine all boys are going to have their own opinions.

Post # 5
    2336 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2018

I’d make him a junior groomsman, personally.

DH and I had a (mostly) child-free wedding, and had neither a flower girl or a ring bearer. And actually I’ve noticed that *lots* of people now seem to be skipping the whole FG/RB thing. 

Not that anybody would have said anything to us on the contrary, but I doubt anyone really cared that we didn’t have them.

Post # 6
    6015 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2012

Our Best Man held our rings.  Do you have a Best Man?

Post # 7
    449 posts
    Helper bee

Either one is fine really. Personally, I liked the idea of having the jobs of flower girls/ring beareres go to young kids. My little sister will have just turned 10 at the time of my wedding, and she’s going to be a jr. bridesmaid. My 12 year old brother will be her jr. groomsman. We’ll just give the rings to the best man, and we have no ring bearer. 

Post # 8
    1583 posts
    Bumble bee

@NVMox2480:  I prefer older RB because the wont drop/lose the ring. He can still dress and hang with the groomsmen on your day.

Post # 9
    42 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@NVMox2480:  

I have a step daughter that will be 10 wedding time, and I too had reservations on what title, but finally decided JR. being FG/RB at that age just didnt sit well with me, and I think i am skipping Fg. might have RB idk..

Post # 10
    304 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

@NVMox2480:  he should be both! I was at a wedding and an 11 year old was both but like someone else mentioned, he didn’t carry the rings like a traditional little boy did on a little pillow, and he stood next to the groomsmen and was included in most of the groomsmen pictures.

Post # 12
    208 posts
    Helper bee

@NVMox2480:  No, he would not need to have a counterpart!  He is a special enough to walk all by himself if he needs to.  =)

The topic ‘10-yrs old – Ring Bearer or Junior Groomsman’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors