(Closed) $100 extra per person for plated dinner worth it?

posted 5 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Would you spend $100 extra to have a plated meal?
    YES! Pay the $100 extra and have a plated meal, its more elegant. : (8 votes)
    5 %
    NO! $65 for buffet is enough. Save the rest for a nice rehearsal dinner & day after brunch! : (127 votes)
    77 %
    Elope in Rome instead! NYC sooo not worth the money! : (21 votes)
    13 %
    Yay! I love a good poll! : (8 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 3
    4798 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2019

$100pp more for plated? No way. Go for buffet or, if it’s an option, family style. 

I’ve never been to a wedding with a plated dinner. Always buffet. It was just fine and no one complained. As long as you make sure grandparents and older guests can get a hot meal easily, it won’t be a problem. 

Post # 4
    4352 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@asi2001:  Are you 100% set on having the reception in NYC? I know the place I’m having our recption at in northern NJ is closer to $100 pp for a plated meal. I think its $125 for a sat in June (including food, tables, chairs, linens, open bar). The price varies by month. In August its $110 pp. I would also see if it is cheaper if you move the wedding to Friday or Sunday. Or consider getting married in a different, less popular month. If you want more info about my venue please feel free to pm me.

ETA: How many people are you planning for?

Post # 5
    6256 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2014

Definitely not worth it, especially considering that a lot of people prefer buffet anyway, and you get the same food.

Post # 7
    9431 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

Not worth it for me.  I like buffets as long as there is plenty and it’s hot!  That way I can pick what I want and how much of it.

Post # 8
    1145 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

NO WAY! That is a huge difference and in my opinion would be a frivolous expense. I prefer plated meals but could never justify spending $100 more especially since the food options will be the same.

Post # 9
    68 posts
    Worker bee

I was at a wedding last month that I would describe as “funky and fancy”, it was in a very nicely and fancy decorated studio space, and they had a very nice buffet.  The food was great!  I am a person who doesn’t mid getting up to get my food though (it seems some people are).  I also like to have choices and take however much I want haha. But really I don’t think it takes too much away from a nice evening, unless you want you wedding to be very formal, not just fancy.

Post # 10
    8487 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2014

I wouldnt spend $100 on myself to eat, let alone a bunch of other people. Heck, I wouldnt even pay $65. XD

Post # 13
    2060 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I usually prefer sit-down dinner over buffets, but not for $100 more a plate!  Go for the buffet!

Post # 14
    1095 posts
    Bumble bee

I’ve never been to a wedding that is buffet style so I don’t know how I feel about it personally. Howver, At the end of the day, you know your budget and you have to prioritize things and decidenits the plated meal is worth the extra money. On the day of your wedding, I’m sure your friends and family won’t judge you for going with the buffet, like you said, it’s the same meal.

Post # 15
    5423 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2012

I absolutely do not like buffet weddings.  But an extra $100/head is ridiculous, especially because its less food.  You may be paying for the extra waitstaff needed to serve everyone.  Regardless, I’d do the buffet.

Post # 16
    23636 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

So, I don’t prefer buffet weddings, but that being said, 100 extra?  No way.  Go for the buffet! ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘$100 extra per person for plated dinner worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors