(Closed) $1000 for a wedding…is it possible?

posted 5 years ago in Los Angeles
Post # 3
14503 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

If you want it not at a home it might be tough. I have seen some beautiful weddings done at homes so you may need to rethink that. But, sign up for every bridal giveaway at bridal shows,you might win a location. Also, call around and think outside the box, you might just find something perfecr for next to nothing. Always ask because you will never know unless you do.

Post # 4
504 posts
Busy bee

Hiya Red. I work in Covina and live in Rancho.

I’m planning a wedding on a shoestring budget as well. Mainly because it’s last minute.

Where were you wanting to have the wedding? You should be able to pick up tons of things after Halloween this year! So that should help.

What colors are you talking? Black/ purple?

Post # 5
4049 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

@Redbutterfly13:  Besides a backyard wedding you could also look at local or national parks, as well as campgrounds. There are many options along those lines that can be very inexpensive or free!

Other than that, I think you’ll be very hard pressed throw a wedding on $1000. It can be done, but usually only with smaller affairs at home or in a park.

Post # 6
46128 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You might want to flag this post and ask a mod to move it out of the Seattle Board.

Post # 7
14503 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I moved it.

Post # 8
1249 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

If I were you, here is what I would do:

VENUE: Park – free, lots of lovely parks in the OC area!  If you have less than 50 people, check out the Great Park in Irvine – they have free helium balloon rides and a free carousel!

FOOD: DIY, expect to pay about $300, depending on what you have.  That’s what I spent for a wedding of 100 guests.  Don’t forget plates, cups, and utensils for about $50.

CAKE: DIY cupcakes, about $25.  Wilton has stuff to make really cute cupcakes!  You can buy it at Jo-Ann’s.  You can make your own cake stand for cheap too, maybe $25!

LINENS: Buy sheets at the thrift store for tableclothes, and cut some up and hem them for napkins.  If you must have table runners, check out the fabric district in LA.  You can get fabric for $1/yard.  I would estimate $30 for this.

RENTALS: Chairs and Tables from Lakewood Rent – All, with 15 tables at 6.75 each, and 100 chairs at .80 each, is $181.25

DECORATIONS:  Make fabric bunting and tissue flowers to string, and make a crepe paper backdrop for the ceremony, about $40.

FLOWERS: You can get TONS of flower at the Flower District.  I had a post about this about 9 months ago.  Flowers for bridesmaids, centerpieces, and the bride, an easy $80.  You can get the vases at DollarTree.

MUSIC: Ask around for a family member that has a battery operated sound system, then hook CD’s or an iPod up to it

PHOTOGRAPHY: Designate a few family members as photographers

INVITATIONS: Print them yourself on cardstock.  You can get a pack of 50 flat cards and 50 envelopes at Target for $10.  OR, splurge, and go to Barnes and Noble and get pretty flat cards there.  Don’t forget postage – for 50 invites, that is about $25.

YOUR DRESS: Get a white bridesmaids dress from Davids Bridal for less than $200, or you can sew one for cheap if you get the fabric from the fashion district.  I got mine from Dressilyme.com for about $240.  You can sew your own veil for less than $10, and buy shoes at Payless for $25.  Get your jewelry from the Fashion district – I got my earrings and hairclip for less than $20. 

HIS OUTFIT: Likely he has a white shirt already, so add brown pants, a brown vest, and a DIY bow tie (lots of tutorials out there), and he has a cute outfit for about $80.  Try Nordstrom Rack and Burlington Coat Factory!  Even Target might have something good.

OFFICIANT: Have a family member get ordained online.

LICENSE: $90 at the registrar’s office.

TOTAL: $1190 for the wedding.  🙂

Post # 9
269 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My budget was similar, $1500, and we actually did it for less.

* The wedding and reception were at a local park/golf course, rental fee $125 for a covered pavilion. *My dress was from a thrift store for $15. *The picnic food was altogether around $100. *A family member made our cake. Another family member was the d.j.* I printed out our invites at Walmart for 29 cents apiece and bought a $5 pack of enelopes. *I made our fan favors with supplies I got from Michael’s, spent maybe $20 for 35 favors. Also bought flip flops from Dollar Tree as favors. *Most of the decor came from the Dollar Tree, the rest from Michael’s. *Everyone was allowed to take photos and sent them to us. Everyone had a great time and thought we spent way more.

Oh yeah, keep the guest list small.

This is a collage of our wedding that I made using guests photos. We have this up in our living room now.

Post # 10
13 posts
Newbee

Let me throw out a couple of ideas.

There’s nothing wrong with having it in someones yard, particularly if its a pretty garden, but I do understand your hesitation.

First of all, the halloween thing can be taken care of by asking guests to come dressed in “tasteful costumes”.

Parks are perfect because you can have weddings there for free, generally. You could probably rent a decent tent for the reception for a $100 or so.

I would recomend relying on family members and friends for things like a dj (you probably know at least one guy with decent sound equipment) and a cake. Or, better yet, have somone make enough cupcakes for a hundred people.

Invitations- word of mouth oooooor…. Handwritten letters! Sounds difficult, but think how original!!

Flowers- pick some from someones garden (swoon), or buy some from walmart.

Photographer: anyone with a digital camera. unaltered realistic photos are some times classier looking anyway. Set out a bunch of disposable cameras for the guests.

Attire: You should be able to find a dress online, or off the rack for a couple hundred. Accessories don’t have to be fancy. Considering your theme though, I bet you already have something neat in mind for your outfits.:)

Post # 11
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2007

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  You’ve gotten some great suggestions from people.  One of the most beautiful weddings we did was at a state beach campsite.  To keep within your budget you may want to consider having a daytime wedding, as even DIY lighting might be difficult to fit into your budget. 

Post # 12
4713 posts
Honey bee

@rubyred605:  DB doesn’t have white BM dresses. I looked recently. Most other bridal places do for under $200 though. Dessy is a favorite. 

The topic ‘$1000 for a wedding…is it possible?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors