$ 1,000 for wedding invitations !?!?!?

posted 3 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
855 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2008

@JAM1982:  I think (1) you put this in the dress category. You may want to ask a mod to move it. LOL

(2) you are completely right. There is no sense in spending $1000 on pieces of paper that will eventually end up in the trash.

Post # 4
3570 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I spent a lot of money on my invitations.  I sent them to a calligrapher.  For me, it was worth it.  I keep every wedding invitation I get and I love all things paper.  I agree with your FI that it is the first impression of the wedding.  People raved about my invitations and said they couldn’t wait for the wedding. 

Post # 5
898 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@JAM1982:  Most expensive pieces of paper you’ll ever buy 😉

Post # 6
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I think it depends on the feel you want for your wedding, if it is a more casual affair I can see why you wouldn’t want to spend a grand on invitations. But if you and your FI are having a more black tie affair or fancy wedding, then I see his reasons for wanting to spend that much on invitations. 🙂 My FI and spent about a grand after all said and done and we didn’t use letterpress we used thermography which is a less expensive alternative to letterpress. 🙂 We also used a calligrapher to address our envelopes. Like a PP said, people loved the elegant look and feel of our invitations and thought the calligraphy was a nice touch. 🙂 

Post # 7
2449 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Invitations set the mood for your wedding. Are you having a formal evening event? If so, go with something impressive and get a calligrapher. A backyard barbecue can be substantially less extravagent. But $1,000 for 75 invitations is well within in the price range of most heavier cardstock/letterpess invitations that I’ve seen.

Post # 8
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

To give you an idea of how expensive that is we spent $27 on 50 save the date and 80 invitations with envelopes included.  (Vistaprint Groupon.)  Plus, we have received lots of compliments on our “simple” invitations.

Post # 9
1712 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@JAM1982:  We had about 160 letterpress invitations for a little more than $1000. They were completely customized and totally unique and beautiful. To me, it was worth the money, but I can understand how some people would not agree.

Post # 10
9526 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

I’m with you. But I’m having a more casual wedding, so fancy formal invitations just wouldn’t make sense, for us. Also, remember postage – fancy invitations are often really expensive to mail, so factor that into your budget!

Post # 11
2460 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I was quoted around $800 for 30 invitations so I know how you feel, it’s definitely the most expensive piece of paper you will ever buy! Especially when you know they will end up getting thrown out.

Having said that, you are the only person who can decide if they’re worth it. I ended up making mine, they’re not perfect but they were a lot cheaper than getting them professionally made.

Post # 12
498 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

We paid about $1300 for 135 invitations. Definitely agree with you that invitations are the first impression of the wedding so we decided to spend more on them. They were beautiful though, with letter press and had various inserts. People always tell us how beautiful they are!

On the other hand, we got an invitation to my cousin’s wedding in September, invitation arrived on July 1st with an RSVP deadline of June 1st, and no address for the reception location, or where or what time the ceremony is.

Post # 13
4941 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@JAM1982:  I went ahead and moved this to stationary for you. 🙂

I think invitations are well worth the cost, honestly. As has been said it’s the first impression that people will get of your wedding. However, don’t spend your month’s grocery budget if you can’t afford them! Some people get to the point where they can’t purchase their life necessities over things for their wedding. Budget is one thing, but nothing is worth going broke over. 

Post # 14
3199 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@JAM1982:  depends on your wedding. we are spending $27k and having a semi-formal ballroom wedding, and our invitations were about $500, everything included (including postage). ours were invite, rsvp and rsvp envelope, pocket fold, belly band and monogram. they were gorgeous. we just sent them out. i’ll upload a picture if i can today.

we got our invites and RSVP’s from weddingpaperdivas and the pocketfolds, belly bands and monograms from cards and pockets.

Post # 15
8387 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

Unless it’s something really unique (i.e. custom chocolate bar invites, etched glass, etc), 75 invites is not worht $1k IMO.  I made my own pocketfold invites with 3 inserts and a ribbon enclosure and it cost me around $2 per invite.  I’m currently making invitations for a friend’s wedding and it’s costing me around the same, here’s a mock up I did for her.

Post # 16
310 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

You can get beautiful invites for wayy less or make your own. I think that’s the expression “highway robbery”. And yes they most likely will all go in the trash, if not then most will. They’re just invites. I think it’s the food and good times that makes a memorable wedding. If you want to impress people do it with food and fun.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors