(Closed) $1000 NYC Honeymoon budget realistic?

posted 7 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

If you are driving that is awesome.  Are you also going to drive up to Niagara Falls? 

My parents and I have both stayed at the Embassy Suites on the Canadian Side of Niagara falls.  Sign up for their email, they send out lots of promotions.  Parking is expensive at that hotel and many others in Niagara. 

Post # 4
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

the issue with driving into nyc is parking. you’ll probably have to find a lot and keep the car there the whole time you’re in nyc, and it will probably cost a lot. i know some of my friends have left their cars in jersey when they drove to nyc.

aside from the parking issue, $1000 is definitely doable! check out the NYT’s practical traveler – he recently did a weekend in nyc for $100. that will give you some ideas.

when you go to niagara, stay in buffalo. you’ll save a lot of money on the hotel.

Post # 5
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I don’t think it’s possible. I live in CT and we go into the city often. We spend $1k just in a weekend. However, if you don’t have to stay in NYC then you could save money. You could always stay right in NJ and just commute in. Driving however will be more expensive than you expect as most NYC hotels charge at least a $35 a night parking fee for the car alone. I don’t know how long you are going for, but it will be very tight.

Post # 6
1480 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

We eloped to NY for 5 days, and it cost us a pretty penny! Where in NY do you want to stay? A word of warning, hotels in Manhattan are insanely expensive. Even using Priceline we wound up paying $260 a night for a 3.5 star (and you don’t want to go much lower than that based on what we and our friends got). Maybe $1000/week is doable if you avoid staying in Manhattan.

Post # 7
43 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I would also suggest staying in one of the outer boroughs or NJ – Long Island City in Queens and other areas near the airports. I don’t think you will be able to find a hotel in Manhattan for less than 100 per night which does not leave much for food and entertainment.

LIC is only around 15 minutes from Midtown in a pretty safe but boring hood. Nearby Astoria has amazing cheap ethnic food and bars.

You can def keep it under 1000 but only if you make an effort to learn the subway – some tourists dump hundreds on cabs alone.

Post # 8
115 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

If you’re planning on staying in a hotel in NYC, I don’t know how easily you can spend 1000 or less in the city. Most hotels are 200 a night at the very least (at least in Manhattan), though I know if you can get a good deal if you find a place to sublet (some people give out their apartment for days/weeks at a time) or if you stay in a hostel. Other than that, I recommend that you use the excellent public transportation, as that will save you a ton of money, and to find as many free things as possible (there’s a lot of free things in the city, actually- even going to the Met is cheap since it’s suggested donation and you don’t have to spend more than a penny if you don’t want to… though most poeple donate at least a dollar).

Post # 9
2742 posts
Sugar bee

First off, don’t drive into the city. It’s not friendly for parking. If you have to park, you have to remember to move your car ever other day or thereabouts or else you get a hefty ticket. You CAN however stay in NYC on the cheap. Maybe in a hostel with a private room… I don’t know how much those run. Many of them have kitchens and you can go to a grocery store and buy food that you can cook in the kitchen. They also give free breakfasts so you are covered there. Avoid fancy restaurants but at least take in a broadway show or two. Go on walks or free tours. Take the Staten Island Ferry, it’s free. Museum of Natural History is free. MOMA is ‘pay what you want’ after 4pm on Friday so it’s practically free. There are websites you can check for people giving free walks around neighborhoods in NYC. Stay in Long Island City (NOT Long Island!!) or Brooklyn. They are about 20mins or so into Manhattan. I’ve been to London, Istanbul, Berlin and other big cities and managed to stay there on the cheap!! Sorry for the long post 🙂

Post # 11
1876 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

How long do you want to stay? I actually think you could do it. I love traveling/planning so let me suggest a few options.

* If you are driving, then I suggest staying at a hotel where you can park and leave your car. So most likely that will not be in NYC. But thank goodness for public transportation.

* Check here for deals on hotel rooms: http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/ They update regularly so check back at least 1x week

* Maybe only stay for 4 nights? You’ll still be able to get a lot out of your trip and not break the bank

* Your best bet (IMO) would be to use a NJ hotel and take the PATH train into the city. This is only about $2 per ride and it’s super fast. Here are some suggestions that are within walking distance to the train

Candlewood Suites – Jersey City, about $189/night, free parking

Hyatt – Jersey City, runs from $120 – $225/night, $32/day to park

Double Tree Hotel Jersey City, $223/night, $20/day to park

Courtyard Jersey City Newport, $209/night, $16 for valet – don’t know about regular parking

As you’ll see these are all Jersey City options. JC used to not be so nice, but this area is nice and safe – I promise! It’s also just one stop into Manhattan on the train.

If you really want to do it I think it’s totally possible. Esp because hopefully you’ll have some wedding cash to spend on the trip 🙂 I def recommend maybe activating a honeymoon registry – people feel different ways about this, but I think it’s a great option.

Post # 12
342 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

You may also want to check out NJ – we had our room block for our wedding at the Westin in Jersey City.  Its a very short PATH train ride into the city, and both a nicer hotel (and cheaper) than other options in LIC and Brooklyn.  Honestly, the choices in Brooklyn and Queens were stupidly overpriced when I was checking out room blocks, and what they were charging for parking was insane.  Jersey City has a large concentration of hotel chains so the prices are better and the hotels are nicer for the cost.

Post # 14
1126 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@Lilacgal: I live in Buffalo, and I can tell you it’s perfectly convenient for seeing Niagara Falls, though I’d also recommend staying in Niagara-on-the-Lake.  You can stay at a great B&B there for the cost of a cheesy Niagara hotel, you can see the falls one day and explore Niagara wineries, forts, bike trails, etc. the other day.  When you drive through the Finger Lakes, I’d recommend staying somewhere near Ithaca, which is just the cutest town ever in the prettiest area.  From there, I think you’re in good shape staying somewhere just outside NYC and traveling in.  For all the inconveniences of the city, public transportation is pretty great, so it’s easy to train into Manhattan and see all the touristy sights.  Sounds like it’ll be a great time, have fun!

Post # 16
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’m not sure what sort of folks you are, but if you’re relaxed about it and don’t need a honeymoon suite then AirBnB can be a great option!

The topic ‘$1000 NYC Honeymoon budget realistic?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors