(Closed) $1000 too much for a DOC?

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

that seems like a bit much to me!! i’m not having a DOC though, so i don’t know how much they cost.

Post # 4
613 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

ummm…$1000 isnt really free. I think $1000 is not that far out of the ordinary. Ive heard $750. But I think if you plan to pay $1000, dont go through the caterer. Hire an independent person that will stay on top of all the vendors and have no personal interests, i.e. working for the catering company.

Post # 6
1883 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

My DOC is $1900…so sounds good to me!

Post # 8
1023 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Wow, I don’t have anything to compare that number to, but holy moly. $1000 for their services for ONE DAY? EEk, that coordinator better be handling everything amazingly. I would not go with someone connected to the caterer. Like a pp said, you need someone that doesn’t have a potential conflict of interest.

Post # 11
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

It’s way more than I was willing to spend (my DOC is $350), but it’s not more than I’ve seen (the highest quote I got was $2200, and most were in the $600-800 range). What I *do* think is that it’s too much if she’s associated with your caterer (or is your caterer… not really clear on this relationship from your post). Pairing the services should result in a discount!

DOCs often seem expensive for a single-day service, but a good DOC is doing work before the day of and staying with you all day. Maybe you should do some looking around and getting prices so you know if $1,000 is something you’re comfortable with for the service provided.

Post # 12
2030 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

That is within the normal range of prices we were quoted for a DOC, but the real question is do YOU want to pay that price and do you feel that your needs will be met by the DOC’s services?

Post # 13
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

i think the reasonableness of the price depends, among other things, the area you are in and the services provided.  i have not heard of catering services offering a DOC, and i tend to agree with some of the others that you may want to find one on your own to make sure your DOC has only your best interests at heart.

i searched for DOC’s in the california bay area and received quotes from $750 (for someone starting out in the wedding business but w/prevous event planning experience) to $2200.  so no, i don’t think that $1000 is out of control (unfortunately–it is high!).

Post # 14
611 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

It really depends on the area, the number of hours you expect the DOC to work on that day, and any other extraordinary thing you may want your DOC to do. I’ve been quoted from $350 to $1200. I’ve also read that DC area (kinda where you are) has one of the highest cost of living in this country so $1000 is not surprising. However, it wouldn’t hurt to shop around (definitely get one on your side, rather than on the side fo the caterer). Personally, $1000 for one day is kinda steep for me.

Post # 15
363 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2010 - Trinity Presbyterian Church/Harrison Opera House

I would say that the pricing also depends on the complexity of your wedding and the budget.  If you have a higher budget  or a lot of moving pieces, you could be billed appropriately.  I think for the DC area that 1000 is about the going rate.  Call around though!  If you want to speak with my planner, send me a PM and I’ll give you her contact info.

Post # 16
611 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I just read in another thread that nova_wedding found a DOC in the Arlington area for $300. You may wanna check that out!

The topic ‘$1000 too much for a DOC?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors