Post # 3
416 posts
Helper bee

$1,000 seems ambitious for SoCal.

Post # 4
493 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@ChrissyMae:  Have you done any research already?

I’m not from SoCal but I am from an urban area and planning a ceremony in a low-cost rural area and in neither of those places would a wedding-specific venue of any kind of that size be $1K- that was the price we were quoted for that kind of space (a barn with electrical set up and seating on a pretty farm, for example) for two hours for intimate weddings of <25 people with no reception… in rural TN.

You might be able to do it, but you’re likely going to have to go for a park or a private space that isn’t typically used for this purpose (like if you have a friend of a friend with a barn, or something), and that will come with logistical headaches.

If you find it though, awesome… I’m sure other SoCal brides will be following you there in droves!

Post # 5
4817 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Do you mean only $1,000 rental fee? That’s all I paid for a very nice hotel in La Jolla, but they did have a food/drink minimum that was about 20 times that! 

Post # 6
477 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@ChrissyMae:  A public park might work great for you and cost even less than $1K. 

Most likely you’ll just need to get a permit and pay a (relatively) small fee.  However, be sure to find out the rules for alcohol, decor, etc.

Post # 7
405 posts
Helper bee

@ChrissyMae:  You’ll want the Newland Barn in Huntington Beach.  It’s $80/hour WITHOUT alcohol, $90/hour WITH alcohol.  This can book up a year in advance though, so be forwarned.  It’s BYO everything, although they do have rentals that can stay inside the barn area.  The gazebo for the ceremony is $100.  This is where I want to get married if I ever remarry!!! 

The George Key Ranch in Placentia is also very nice but it’s a bit pricier.  It will be more like $1800 for the day.  My BFF got married here in August, and it was hot but lovely.

For both places, you will need a security guard if you serve alcohol.

Post # 8
2428 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@atacrossroads:  I came here to say the same thing.

@ChrissyMae: Do you mean $1000 on just the rental fee? If so, it’s possible. You’re most likely going to be looking at parks. I’m in OC and concentrated most of my searching in this area – how far south/east/west would you be willing to go? Off the top of my head, this is what I can remember as being relatively cheap(er):

• Heritage Hill in Lake Forest
  • Flower Fields in Carlsbad – this has a barn *may be higher than $1000 depending on season/day
  • Santiago Oaks in Orange

Like PPs have mentioned, since these are (mostly) public, you will also have to factor in permits, alcohol license, and you may also need to have a deputy present. All these things can add up quickly since these spaces are pretty DIY and you’ll need to bring in everything: food, table/chair rentals, etc. 

Beaches are also pretty cheap, San Clemente Cottage House and Ole Hansen Beach Club come to mind but since you’re looking for a more southern/barn feel these probably won’t work for you. Good luck!!

Post # 11
4817 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@ChrissyMae:  That shouldn’t be hard to find, but most hotels have a food and beverage minimum (for the really nice ones, it’s usually $15-25K) and you can’t bring in anything of your own. If you want $1,000 rental fee for a place you can do whatever you want with, I have no idea where you would find that!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors