11 Month Old Self Weaning From Formula…HELP!

posted 2 years ago in Babies
Post # 2
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I work at a daycare and I’d suggest just dropping the bottle totally and putting milk in a sippy cup. you shouldn’t need to warm it up, just straight from the jug. We just give whole milk or 2%, if theres no digestive concerns it really doesn’t matter 

Post # 3
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

When we transitioned to cow’s milk, I tried it out with a 2oz portion- one ounce being cow’s milk.  It went well, so I did half and half and over a week or so I gradually increased the proportion of cow’s milk.  She never had any allergies to any dairy products (she had eaten my oatmeal made with skim milk before, she eats plenty of cheese and yogurt, never had any issues) so I knew allergies wouldn’t be a big problem.  I went slowly more to get her accustomed to the taste.  I think we started the transition around 11 months and by a year she was all cow’s milk!

Post # 4
1392 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Agree with PPs. 

Post # 5
2661 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I’d put the mild in a sippy and get rid of the bottles.  If he is self weaning, may as well get rid of thoose things rather than teach him to drink something else out of them!

Post # 6
598 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Ditch the bottles. At this point, he’s good to go with sippy cups. Start with small amounts of cow’s milk and don’t introduce anything else new for a few days. That way you can easily identify if there’s any allergies or problems. You’ll know it was definitely the milk. If he does fine, then go full force and loose the formula (and gain a little more money since formula is pricey!).

As for organic vs. not, that’s your personal choice. There are a lot of compelling reasons for going organic but it is more expensive and depending on where you live, can be harder to find. Personally, we only buy organic milk for all members of our family.

Post # 8
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

ExcitedScaredBee:  DD is a little older than your DS, but I am pretty sure when we started ditching bottles I just let her play until breakfast but pushed breakfast to an earlier time.  Mostly I give her milk in a cup with each meal and let her drink as much water out of a cup as she wants.  Sometimes I water down juice but not very often.  Even at 16 months, we will do 2-3oz milk in a bottle either just before or just after her bath, but not to put her to sleep- it’s mostly to help get her mind to wind down since we snuggle in the recliner chair and read (it’s also the only way I can get her to sit still long enough to cut her nails!)  I think it was around 9-10 months that we stopped using the bottle to get her to go to sleep, so as long as it’s not part of her bed time routine we don’t have problems.  

Post # 9
1298 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

ExcitedScaredBee:  Keep in mind to not to let him drink too much milk. You can ask your pediatrician for their advice, but anything over 20-24 oz of milk per day might be too much, because milk does not have iron (as iron fortified formulas do), so toddlers who drink too much milk may run the risk of becoming anemic because they do not have enough iron intake. 

Post # 10
354 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

ExcitedScaredBee:  at first we warmed the milk

up for her and she’d have two bottles of milk a day- about 6 oz each. Now she’s older- almost 2 she has her milk in a cup before she goes to bed. She still won’t drink it cold though. I’d just move her on to warm cows milk straight into a cup, better for her teeth, and id only offer it out of the cup. At first she may refuse but she’ll get used to it. I’m not advocating this but a couple of my friends gave there little ones nesquick/ovaltine if they wouldnt take the milk plain on advice of there health visitor. X

Post # 11
1141 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Sounds like he’s ready for milk and more food/less bottle feedings.  I agree with the pp, do milk in sippy cups with meals.  I started switching my baby around 11 1/2 months to milk with meals instead of formula in bottles.  I wouldn’t bother warming it unless you want to create the habit of always having to warm it for him to drink it. If he’s only used to drinking warm formula start with warm, then room temp, then cold to get him used to the change.

Post # 12
458 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Winterbride_England:  My SIL gives two bottles of nesquick everyday….I think it’s so strange! Apparently she thinks it’s a good idea? I even read nutrition literature in France and they recommend no sugar until at least 3…

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors