11 Weeks and First Prenatal Appointment Today

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

MrsSparkle10:  They will get a thorough medical history, ask you a ton of questions, and may do a pap/pelvic exam if you’re due for one.

They will ask your last menstrual period (LMP) and calculate a due date based on that.

They may order a dating ultrasound if you have irregular cycles or don’t know when your LMP was. 

You should ask for information about upcoming appointments, things you should be doing (taking prenatals) and things you should be avoiding (ibuprofen, decongestants, alcohol, etc)

Maybe write down any questions you have so you don’t forget them?  I sometimes get caught up in one thing and forget the other thing I wanted to bring up, so I try to write things down as I think of them and take the list with me to make sure I don’t brain fart!

ETA- I meant to add that in the near-ish future you should also start thinking about birth preferences and find out how accommodating the practice is about certain things.  Look up their primary c-section and episiotomy rates, read up on some evidence based birth and make your own opinions.  If the doctor you see doesn’t fall in line with what your birth philosophy is, it might be time to look for another provider.  Better to do it sooner rather than at the end of your pregnancy, when some people won’t take on new patients.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  DaneLady.
Post # 4
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

11 weeks can still be a little early to hear with the doppler… kind of depends on baby’s position and what your actual gestational age is.  As for the u/s, it depends on if they have any open appointments or if they can work you in.  I had to schedule one and it was about a week later.  

Post # 5
1734 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1998

MrsSparkle10:  I had my first appointment at 11w3d (I was certain, though). My appointment went down like so:

Lots of questions about your medical history: LMP, symptoms, genetic conditions on either side of the family, if you smoke/drink/wear a seatbelt, etc. I did get an ultrasound at my first appointment…I figured they’d just use the Doppler. They went for a transvaginal one (…the assistant could not, for the life of her, put in the correct dates, so the doctor thought I was only 7 – 8 weeks when she came in).

Even at the time, I was thinking, “I’m far enough along, WTF are you doing?” but just didn’t bother with saying anything. They did an abdominal too and ended up getting a much clearer image. The fact that I’m overweight probably also played a role in their decision to try the transvaginal first.

There was a very clear heartbeat for us. Honestly, if they couldn’t pick up the heartbeat on an ultrasound or a Doppler, or at least try to zoom in to see it, it would be a very bad sign (that is, of course, assuming you truly are 11 weeks).

They almost always do a pelvic exam, even if you’re up to date on your pap (as I was).

The suggestion of looking up episiotomy and c-section rates is also great. I didn’t bother at my first appointment because I knew I’d be switching from an OBGYN to a midwife in the practice on my next appointment, so I’ll be asking her. But I think it’s very valid to ask things like:

1. Under what circumstances would you usually perform an induction, membrane sweep, c-section or episiotomy?

2. If I start having bleeding or other symptoms, what should I do? Should I call the office, call you directly (this is usually addressed, but just in case)?

3. What is the appointment schedule like?

4. You will likely be scheduled for a nuchal translucency screening for your  next appointment (usually done between 11 and 14 weeks). This involves an ultrasound and blood work. For each test that’s offered, ask: is this a screening test (which can give you your odds of having a child with a certain condition) or a diagnostic test (i.e., the results are definitive; it’s “Your baby has this” or “Your baby does not have this.”).

Ask about the risks involved for any sort of testing you are offered.

5. Ask about what sorts of pain methods and labor methods your OBGYN/midwife is open to. Some people will wait longer to ask this, but my philosophy is that I want to know ASAP if we’re compatible. If they’re the “you’re going to have your baby on your bed, likely flat on your back, usually with an epidural” type, it wouldn’t be for me. 

I’d ask about the risks for some of that too — you also want to know right away if this is a doctor who’s going to tell you the truth or if he’s going to sugarcoat it. I.e., if a doctor didn’t tell me the risks with an epidural, but just reassured me, “Oh, it just takes away the pain, I give it to a lot of my patients,” I would be gone. That shows me that he’s only looking at one side of things, and that he isn’t giving me the full information I need to make an informed decision. Of course, I can look this up on my own as well, but I think it’s incredibly misleading — and you have a doctor for a reason.

6. Ask what you can do to prevent some of the biggest problems in pregnancy — gestational diabetes, preeclampsia and others being among them.

Post # 6
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Depending on where you live (I’m in Canada, so it’s a bit different), they may or may not do an ultrasound in office. You should be able to hear the heartbeat with a doppler though, so it’s likely you’ll get that today 🙂

They’ll want to do a PAP or pelvic exam, but if you’re already up to date, it isn’t totally necessary. I declined mine, as I am not comfortable with PAP’s during pregnancy.

I think DaneLady covered most of the things that will be covered. and some really good things to tihink about! I know here, they go through a long list on medical history questions, how your home life is, income, stresses, etc. They talk about blood testing, etc.

Good luck! Have a great appointment, and congrats!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  urchin.
Post # 7
943 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

My first appt was too early for an ultrasound, but they gave me paperwork and pamphlets, lab work, pelvic exam. I had an ultrasound just before week 9 and you could see and hear the heartbeat (with doppler).

Post # 8
2590 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

MrsSparkle10:  my first appointment was at 11.5 weeks and we were definitely able to hear the heartbeat with a Doppler! It was awesome. Hope your appointment goes well!!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors