$115 too cheap for wedding gift?

posted 3 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
242 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Out of curiosity, why $115? It seems like a kind of random number. (a completely fine random number!)

Post # 5
2720 posts
Sugar bee

Give what you can. I’m going to give $40 to a coworker at his wedding. That amount actually does convert our plates.

My millionaire aunts and uncle in laws gave us gifts valued at around $100 for their families of 4-5. I really don’t care that the value was that amount because a wedding shouldn’t be about the gifts.

ETA I don’t think that is a regional thing too. Our wedding was in North Carolina and they’re from NYC and Connecticut. 

Post # 6
Hostess
7630 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

DH and I usually give $100 unless it’s someone very close. I think $115 is fine. Don’t worry about their financial situation, just give what feels right and works for you. 

Post # 7
1888 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@hollyberry4:  I’m a total it’s the thought that counts.  When we were cash strapped for a friend’s wedding we noticed that they had asked for a Monopoly game.  We thought creatively and for (literally) a few dollars more bought them the Doctor Who version.  In all the gift cost about $40, and they loved it!  Sometimes creativity can trump cost.

Post # 8
1103 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Ill be frank, I didn’t even give siblings above $100. For friends and non relatives about $50 to $75 and relatives $75 to $100. 

Post # 9
3693 posts
Sugar bee

I think $115 is kind of a weird number too. We got a $125 check at our wedding last month and we thought that was a weird number too, haha (although very much appreciated of course!). I’m sure they’ll appreciate whatever you give them.

Post # 10
346 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Honestly, I think $100 or above is fine. Give what you can, not everyone is made of money and I’m sure the bride knows this. She’ll care more that you are coming than your gift.

Post # 12
125 posts
Blushing bee

$100 is wonderful, I’d give that! 

Post # 13
7271 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

I think that’s a very generous gift!

Post # 14
4513 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I think its plenty! I do think $115 is weird though lol. I’d either do $100 or $125.

Post # 15
Hostess
3787 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think $100 is fine. $115 seems a bit random to me, but whatever works for you! 

Post # 16
2782 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@hollyberry4:  We went to a wedding back months ago for a couple whom at the time, I had never met- and FI had been out of work for 8 months- so yeah, money was tight.  The groom worked for the same company though- and knew he had been out of work (he was hired for a new job already but didn’t start orientation until the week AFTER the wedding).  We bought them one thing off of thier registry that was about $30, and I made them some cool coasters.  Being that I hadn’t met them- FI didn’t want me spending a ton of $$ on people I had never met, and it was what he felt comfortable spending.  We might get them something else- you do have a year after the wedding to buy a gift- so we might throw an IKEA gf thier way (they asked for them!)

I don’t believe you should ever have to overextend yourself for a wedding gift- I really don’t.  We are stingy people, but I’m not going to go broke just because someone is getting married!!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors