(Closed) 1/2" alterations? Worth it?

posted 6 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Alter the gown or not?
    Have the 1/2" taken in on the sides as suggeseted by the professionals : (23 votes)
    52 %
    Leave the gown unaltered : (21 votes)
    48 %
  • Post # 3
    776 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

Hmm, that’s a tough call.  I know a dress that I am looking at buying has had the hem taken up, but it wasn’t cut and the seamstress told me it could be let down again. I’d assume it would be the same for the sides.  But I’d be worried about since it’s a seam and not just a hem that the tug from wear might leave marks if someone tried to let it out again.

Is it a half inch total?  Or half inch on each side?   I’d almost be tempted to leave it as is, especially if you feel uncomfortable when they pull it in.

ETA: Sorry, I just realized you said it was 1 inch total.  :/

Post # 4
    1548 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

Is the dress strapless? My only concern would be if it isn’t tight enough, it would be falling down – I know I don’t want to be constantly pully my dress up on my wedding day. If the dress has straps and is confortable for you, leave it the way it is. 

Post # 6
    1548 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

Beautiful dress! She really said the dress should be uncomfortable?! ughh.  What about taking it it 1/4 inch on each side so it has a bit more support, but isn’t too tight and uncomfortable?

Post # 7
    429 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

Frankly, I would leave it as is.  1 inch just seems like such a little bit.  I don’t want to get mine altered either for cost and in case I want to resell it.

Post # 8
    2425 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Dresses also naturally stretch/relax as you wear them, so what might only be an inch now may stretch out so it’s falling down on your wedding day. When I was first zipped into my gown, it felt tight and hard to breathe, but always got more comfortable the longer it was on. This was true for my fittings ang the wedding day. My dress was fitted enough that it didn’t move down over the course of the day, and was still comfortable.

I would get it taken in if 2 seamstresses recommend it, you don’t want to be pulling it up all day!

Post # 9
    2363 posts
    Buzzing bee

I would have it altered.  1″ around the waist is a full dress size!  I want my wedding dress to fit perfectly.

Post # 11
    2363 posts
    Buzzing bee

@sienna76:  Oops!  Well, an inch around the bust is still a full dress size.  How much would it cost to have it taken in?

Post # 13
    2363 posts
    Buzzing bee

@sienna76:  Ok, I would have her pin it and then take a pic so you can see if it makes a difference.  I do see a little extra fabric in the bust area, but maybe that disappears when you have the longline bra on?

Post # 14
    3001 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I’d take it in. A friend didn’t have hers taken in at all and it was wayyy too baggy.

Post # 15
    520 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I would have it taken in. The cost seems reasonable as far as alterations go, and you really want it to fit the best it possibly can, especially since it’s strapless. As someone else said, it will stretch as you wear it, so it may end up way too big if you don’t take it in. 

The topic ‘1/2" alterations? Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors