Post # 3
2725 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Is working out at lunch an option?

Post # 4
1802 posts
Buzzing bee

@Vanilla-latte:  I don’t personally work 12 hour shifts, but my FSIL does, and she actually just lost all of her baby weight plus some working out six days per week, so I’m assuming she has to work out on the days she works! She physically signs up for classes (spinning I think) that start before her shift starts (so yes, 5 AM LOL). That way she feels obligated to go rather than sleeping an extra hour or two.

Post # 6
1344 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

Can you add little ways to add more movement during the day, like taking the stairs, or walking while you are on the phone. Do you have a desk job, or are you on your feet all the time?

Post # 7
1131 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I used to work 12 hour shifts 4 days a week and I ran 4 miles a day. There was no trick to it – I’d just make myself eat a quick dinner and go out for a run after work. I think daily work outs are easier to adapt to because you just accept that working out is as much a part of your day as brushing your teeth or changing your undies. You don’t have the same inclination to fall into the pattern of convincing yourself that you can switch today’s “on day” with tomorrow’s “off day”, or you’ll skip today but run twice as far tomorrow, etc. etc.

Nowadays I work and am in school, and a 1 hour 4 mile run is just too much for me. But running 2 miles in 20 minutes a day instead has not noticeably changed how I look or feel – maybe 1 extra pound in the tummy?

Basically, if you have time to watch TV for 20 minutes after work, you have time for a 20 minute jog. And even 10-15 minutes of fast walking is way better than nothing! The secret is just to force yourself out the door. That is the hardest part.

Post # 8
1632 posts
Bumble bee

I’m not a big worker outer, but I do work 12s….my advice to you would be to either find as much time to move at work as possible…always take the stairs…do laps around the department when there’s nothing to do…or, rest as much as you can at work so you have the energy to work out…sit every chance you get….I’ve been in the ER since I was 18…it can be done….also remember that working out one day a week on your day off is better then not at all! The girls I work with who do work out always go on their work days so that they have nothing to do with work on their days off…(my hosp. Has a huge gym)

Post # 9
552 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I work 13 hour shifts and work out every day, usually for about an hour after work, and then I eat, shower and go to bed. You just have to force yourself to give up the TV time for exercise time. It sucks sometimes but you just have to do it. Eventually it will become routine. 

One small trick I can think of is to prepare your suppers in advance so that you just have to heat them up on work days. I precook and freeze meals on my days off so I don’t spend any time cooking when I’m on shift. It’s a major time saver, and keeps me eating healthy.

Post # 10
310 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I do 12hr shifts, but also have almost an hour commute on both ends. So after a 14hr work days I don’t go to the gym. I will go to the gym on my day off to switch over to nights (3 days, 24hrs off, 3 nights, then 6 days off is my shift). Then go on my days off instead.

My FI does hit the gym some days though. Not super regularily when working. We just try to go on days off. Or he wakes up an hour earlier on nights in order to go to the gym. Sometimes goes to the gym when we get home from work. In order to make time he premakes about 3 days worth of meals and has them in containers ready for the next work day.

A few people I work with do go before work (but we are talking between 3-3:30am to go to the gym before work).

Post # 11
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@Vanilla-latte:  I don’t work 12hour shifts, so I’m not sure how useful my advice will be, but what about finding a workout buddy.. even better if it’s someone you work with. If you commit to going to x class with so-and-so on wednesdays then it’s way more likley to happen.

I also recommend that 7 minute workout app. Doing a few rounds of this takes 20 minutes and is a pretty effective calroiei burner, plus you can do it in your own home.
Good luck!

Post # 12
945 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Savannah, GA

Before I was a nurse, I worked out every day, sometimes twice a day.  When I started to work 12 hour night shifts at a hospital, I gained about 20 lbs in two years.  I was just so physically and emotionally exhausted after a 12 hour shift I couldn’t imagine working out.  I did try working out on my days off, but they definitely don’t offer classes at 1 am for night shift people.  It was really, really rough.  I decided to switch to an office position in order to be physically and emotionally healthier.  Now I workout every day. 

I know that doesn’t help much, but know you’re not alone.  Hopefully you’re able to find something that works for you.  I truely know how hard it is. 

Post # 13
2639 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I drive a dump truck, and lately I’ve been working 13-14hrs 7 days a week. The only way I’ve been able to go to the gym is if I take my gym stuff and stop on my way home. If I get home, I’m not leaving again. 

Post # 14
1197 posts
Bumble bee

I would keep your workouts light during your work days (since you’ve already been on your feet and are probably exhausted), and go hard on your days off.  I do something somewhat similar for my half marathon training – 3-4 mile runs 4ish times a week during the workweek, and a longer run during the weekend.

Post # 15
110 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

Vanilla-latte:  Try workout programs designed to be completed in 20-30 minutes. I work 10 hours with a 45 minute commute each way and I have started doing the P90X3 program. I find that because it is only half an hour workout, I will do it half an hour after I get home. This gives me enough time to cook, shower and indulge in some bedtime reading before I sleep. On days when I am too tired to jump around, I do half an hour of gentle yoga. If you do this daily, you will find that you will not need to spend heaps of time working out.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors