(Closed) 12 hours of NFP??

posted 6 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I think I was supposed to go to these NFP classes, but our schedules didn’t permit. I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and learned a little bit at my Engaged Encounter.  We are ttc now, but if we decide to use NFP in the future, I might get the at-home study kit. I do think there is enough info for 4 3-hr classes. I think they are all spaced out in many sessions so you can work on charting and then bring in your charts to have someone help you with interpretation.

I guess your priest will decide if he wants to require you to go to the classes. If you are on BCP now, I don’t know how helpful the practical/interpretation parts will be for you since you wont actually be ovulating or having a cycle on BCP.

Post # 4
5093 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

We actually didn’t do any NFP stuff at all.  I think we were probably supposed to, but it wasn’t in any of the classes.  Oh well.

I know that in one of my theology classes at my Catholic high school, I was taught that being on birth control, even for medical reasons, is a sin if you’re also having sex.  You can take as much BC as you want while you’re abstinent, but it’s sinful the moment you’re not.  That being said, that teacher was kind of crazy, so I don’t know if I would trust her.  :-

Post # 5
133 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Our NFP “class” was included in our Pre-Cana (8 hours on a Saturday), but it may depend on the diocese.

Post # 6
4336 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Yup, I took the 12 hour class one. And there was definitely enough to cover it. That being said, if you’re on BC, you probably won’t find it as interesting, or, at least, as applicable to your own body, since the whole point of being on BC is that you don’t ovulate, and the whole point of NFP is figuring out when you ovulate, so that you abstain from having sex during the time to avoid getting pregnant! In the 12 hour class, they will also go more into the reasons to use NFP, like how it’s way better for your body, it’s natural, and of course going in depth about the Church’s teachings on human sexuality. (Extremely misunderstood and not even given a chance by most people!) 

So, just take the class with an open mind. I’m positive you will learn some very fascinating things about how your body is meant to work.

The topic ‘12 hours of NFP??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors