(Closed) 1/2 Marathon FAIL/Lower back pain

posted 7 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’ve been there. My back seized after a half marathon last May. It was the worst pain ever. Seriously, if FI hadn’t been there, I think I would have had to have phoned 911 b/c I couldn’t even get out of bed.

Go to your doctor. If it is a spasm, those muscles could still be spasming, which is what is causing the continual pain. And it can cause lasting damage.

Post doctor, lots of heat packs, lots of stretching, start getting regular massage, and start swimming. It’s low impact, and it will strengthen your core (lots of back stuff is from weak cores – and runners are known for having weak cores).

It took me nearly a full year to come back. But, I’m a better runner now than I was then in part because I cross train, rest more, and stretch. It maybe a one time deal, but for me, I’ve beyond careful with my back now.

Good luck! You aren’t alone!

Post # 4
963 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Yes, I’ve tweaked my back before and it is terrible.  If you pull a muscle, all the muscles around it will try to protect it and contract…making it quite painful. I’ve done it bending over to wash my face or taking off a pair of pants.  I actually have a problem right now with my whole left side (shoulder on down to hamstring), that makes running painful. (Thank the Lord for the foam roller – only thing that helps the pain at all).  I don’t know what is going on with that.

I suggest that you go visit a doctor – preferably someone in sports medicine.  It sounds like you did something pretty bad and you may want to get checked out to be on the safe side.

Until you get to a Dr, I recommend lots of rest, advil every 4 hours to reduce inflammation, and alternating heat/ice every 15 minutes.

The topic ‘1/2 Marathon FAIL/Lower back pain’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors