+12 month engagement bees: Did you get the date, venue, etc. you wanted?

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
  • poll:
    I had no trouble booking what I wanted : (62 votes)
    83 %
    A couple things were already taken, (please specify) : (13 votes)
    17 %
    I had to change a lot, (please specify) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    2675 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014 - Madison, WI

I booked everything about 1 year in advanced and had no problems. Things were starting to book up and I’d say had I waited 1-2 months longer I might have lost out on our venues but everything worked out fine. I think you’ve got plenty of time. Doesn’t hurt to start looking though and if you find a venue/vendor you love or might want ask how far in advance they usually book up.

Post # 4
    3344 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

It’s harder to book the venue if you have already chosen a date, especially if you are trying to coordinate a church and a separate reception venue.  We picked the date after confirming that our church and first choice reception venue were available.  Plus, we found out that we could save thousands of dollars on the site fee by picking a certain season and day of the week.  So, waiting to pick an exact date really worked out in our favor.  We were engaged for 18 months, and we had our first choice of vendors the whole time.  But that’s because I was on top of everything from the get go ’cause I’m a big planner.  😉

Post # 5
    3735 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@lovelee1:  So one might think that if you had a longer engagement, you’d book earlier and therefore ensure you got what you wanted. I booked everything as soon as I got engaged or shortly thereafter – after 15 months ahead of the wedding. I didn’t have any issues.

Post # 8
    3199 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

@lovelee1:  we got literally everything we wanted, except that our first choice photographer was ‘holding’ a date for someone else, so we moved on. others were booking up that we really liked, so we didn’t hesitate.

Post # 9
    1397 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I booked the big things almost 14 months in advance.  I got every vendor I wanted so it worked out great.  The last vendor, floriest, I did not book unitl about 6 months out because I had trouble finding one that I liked.

Post # 10
    498 posts
    Helper bee

I haven’t had trouble with anything except our venue. It’s a bit of a different situation though because we’re using the park at the local library and there is a festival there a certain weekend every year and I had forgotten about that when we picked our initial date. We ended up changing the date. 

I booked my DJ just over a year out, he said he had a bride book the weekend before us 6 months earlier. 

If you are really specific on what/where/you you want, I’d say start booking asap just to be safe. 

Post # 11
    720 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

we started booking things about a month after we got engaged, so about 14 months out.  We’ve had no issues at all, but we just had a season in mind (winter) and not really a date.  At our venue all of January was taken, half of March and half of Feb.  We went with March 1, but I was amazed how far in advance stuff was booking.  They do have a flipping awesome winter package so that probably didn’t help things.

Post # 12
    5935 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

I’d rather be safe than sorry, so I would book anyone you really want as soon as possible. We looked at one venue the 16 months before our date and they were already booked. So yeah, if it’s a popular place they get booked very quickly.

Post # 13
    11668 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

@lovelee1:  We booked everything 12-13 months out without any issues. We got married in March though, which isn’t peak wedding season.  I know my photographer and make up artist were already booked well into the fall when I booked.

Post # 14
    141 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

We started planning 13 months in advance with just a general idea of the date. The venue and planner was easy, but the first choice band was booked already – we went with another great one, it just happened to be twice as expensive. I do think did end up with the better band now that I see more reels/info. 

Post # 16
    263 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

@lovelee1:  There was a venue that I loved, and we went to check it out as soon as we got engaged with a special date in mind.  They were already booked 13 months out, and didn’t have our date available.  We are going to book them anyway because we loved it…I’m a little sad about it, but knew that there was a good chance we would have to sacrifice our date.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors