12 week and 16 week testing

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I skipped the NT scan because my insurance didn’t cover it and it only added 5% more of certainty. I just had my blood work tested at 10 weeks and then again at 16 weeks and they compared the two for chances of down syndrome, etc.  Everything came back fine. Then I had my Anatomy scan at 19 weeks and everything was great! The ultrasound tech checked out my little man (this is when we found out we were having a boy) and was very thorough. We loved it! I did end up feeling jealous when other moms had their NT scans because it’s another ultrasound/chance to see the baby and it gives you peace of mind faster. But if you decide to skip it, you’ll be fine!

Post # 4
8593 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I was going to get the NT one done (because it had higher accuracy), but then (as it turns out) I couldn’t.  So I did the penta screening.  It probably worked out better because my insurance covered the ultrasound but not the labwork for the NT scan and my insurance covered almost everything for the penta screening (I think I ended up paying $12).  I did get the ultrasound portion of the NT and since it was covered I guess I lucked out.

Post # 5
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I skipped the NT test as well and just did the penta. I almost wish I had skipped the penta, honestly. My results came back as an “elevated risk” for downs syndrome so of course I started freaking out. I googled a little bit and it seems false alarms are quite common with that test. I think I read somewhere that there’s an 80% error rate. I called my doctor back and asked just how elevated “elevated” was in my case and my risk is 1 in 214. Normal is 1 in 270. After hearing this I’m not going to let myself worry over such a small risk, but I definitely panicked about it for a little while. 

Post # 6
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I did the 12 week NT scan but not the Quad screen (which I assume is what you’re talking about?)  My doctor never mentioned it and I kind of forgot anyways.  My understanding is the Quad screen builds off the NT scan results, so I don’t think you can do the quad screen without having done the nt scan.  I could be wrong though…

Post # 7
435 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

@pittgirl4:  I skipped the NT and got the anatomy scan at 18 weeks – I plan to do the same thing with our next child

Post # 8
7271 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

I didn’t have an NT scan or a quad screen. We just had the anatomy scan at 18 weeks.

Post # 9
370 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

We did both that came back normal, but they found markers on our anatomy scan but since we had the numbers from the previous tests it wasn’t as scary and so far further testing (Maternit21) has come back normal.

Post # 10
cherrypieBee
1059 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2008 - A tiny town just outside of Glacier National Park

Our insurance covered two ultrasounds, one at 12 or before, and one around 20 weeks, so we took advantage of both. Because we wanted thorough genetic testing, our midwife referred us to have the 12 week scan at a very advanced high-risk clinic (although as far as we know our pregnancy is normal). They did the NT scan, blood work for trisomies, and a Counsyl genetic carrier test per our request. All results were good, and their equipment was top-notch and their techs very professional. We will go back in one week for our 20-week anatomy scan and to find out the sex of the baby! That is the extent of the scans and testing we’re having done, which I suppose is pretty thorough, but nothing invasive due to our bloodwork looking great. 🙂

Most people will say there is no reason to have an NT/combi test if you would not opt for further testing (CVS/amnio) or terminate the pregnancy if results are not in your favor. If your insurance covers the ultrasound, you might want to get it anyway and opt out of the NT measurement.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors