12 Years of Not Trying – my how the tables have turned…

posted 4 years ago in TTC
  • poll: How many months after getting off the pill before you conceived?
    1-3 months : (14 votes)
    50 %
    4-7 months : (3 votes)
    11 %
    8-12 months : (2 votes)
    7 %
    more than a year : (9 votes)
    32 %
  • Post # 3
    866 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I have no experience but spoke with my doc on the subject recently.  She told me that your first 3 cycles off the pill are your most fertile so don’t wait for it to get out of your system.  Don’t stop taking it til you’re ready to concieve

Post # 4
    1238 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

@krstino1012: I am not yet pregnant, but I have been off BC for longer than a year now so that is what I voted. I was not on the pill, but Implanon so it may be a little different. I actually did get PG 3 months after going off of it, but it ended up being ectopic. I’m not sure if the BC had anything to do with it or not. But I have heard of women on here being on BC for 10+ years and conceiving right away. GL hun!!

Post # 5
    6073 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

My co worker got pregnant immediately.  She also mistook Day 1 to be the first day being period free, when it really is the first day of her period.  Combine the two and she was pregnant like in 1 week being off the pill!

Post # 6
    6744 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

I got pregnant on the very first try for both of my pregnancies after 5+ years of birth control prior to each.  I was on Nuvaring both times.

Post # 7
    3756 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I was on many different types of BC for around 13 years. Mostly the pill but my most recent one was the Nuva Ring. I was on that for 1 year prior to TTC. It took 5 cycles to get my BFP after stopping it. 

Post # 8
    277 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I was on the pill for 12 years, we got our BPF after 3 months…it really varries though, just have fun trying

Post # 9
    298 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I was on BC for 4.5 years. I got pregnant 4 cycles after I stopped taking them. Only two of those cycles were actually spent TTC. The frist two cycles off we were NTNP.

Post # 10
    3360 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

It really seems like such a crap-shoot.  I’m curious about this as well, @krstino1012.  I’ve been on the pill for almost 9 years, and I’ll be going off next month to prep for TTC.   Good luck!

Post # 11
    4526 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I was on the pill for 6 years before I got off it in October, 2011.  We didnt try right after i got off the pill.  We started 10 months/cycles ago and still awaiting our BFP! I think it all depends.  Some people get pregnant right away, some dont.  GL

Post # 12
    1083 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

On the pill or some other form of hormonal contraception  for 9 years (ring, Mirena, shot) but before TTC was on the pill. Quit taking it, got pregnant 3 months later. So not long at all. Some people do get pregnant that first month, though, despite being on it for a really long time! 

Post # 13
    6502 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2011 - Baby boy 12/2015

Can anyone explain to me, why would someone be more fertile after stopping BC?

Post # 15
    838 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@candy11:  

@amyinbrisbane:  Big fat guess, but maybe because you haven’t ovulated in so long your body sends out more troops than usual?? lol Just my guess, and it would only apply to hormonal methods like BCP that prevent ovulation.

Post # 16
    6502 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2011 - Baby boy 12/2015

@NLbride:  That could be. It might be in part true since after coming off BCP, my cycles were more regular than they are now. Before BCP, I was irregular and never bothered to chart, so I don’t know if I even ovulated. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors