(Closed) $1200 for a TENT?! Is that outrageous?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

We paid twice that for our 30’x80′ tent! I think you’re getting a deal, LOL! However our tent is for the reception, not just our ceremony. Could you ask her if you could put a security deposit on it and then if you don’t need it you eat the deposit. If you do need it, she sets it up and you pay the balance. Or find out what their cancellation policy is.

Post # 3
2859 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden

Tents are expensive. Way more expensive than I’d expected. We are having an outdoor reception and have to have tent per our contract with the venue. One tent for 90 people (30×45 feet) is costing about $900, and with lighting and setup, it’s going to be about $1300!

I was totally shocked, but apparently, that’s the norm. I thought that maybe it was expensive because I’m in a major east coast city, but I have a friend who got married in the rural midwest and paid about the same for her tent.

Post # 4
529 posts
Busy bee

Umm…sorry, but we got quoted WAY higher and abandoned the tent altogether out of frustration. That’s probably not what you want to hear, and I feel bad. Can you go above her head – did you get the original quote in writing?

All, if umbrellas make you ill, look on etsy.com for cute parasols, which can double as favors…I had some trouble finding plain ones, but you could work with a seller to maybe get them in your colors for some beautiful pictures!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/39579379/custom-painted-fabric-parasol-initials?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_search_query=parasols&ga_search_type=&ga_page=0&order=price_asc&includes%5B%5D=tags&includes%5B%5D=title

Best wishes!

Post # 5
1883 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

When I was looking into having an outdoor ceremony most places REQUIRED you to have a tent and most tent prices were around $2000-$3000 (including delivery, setting up and all). Not worth it for a 20 minute ceremony but if you are having a reception there too, I would say it sounds reasonable. 

Post # 6
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2010

No, that sounds about right. Tents are expensive! We have one for our reception, it’s 40×80 and they are also providing our tables, chairs, dancefloor, the tent walls and a portable bar and the total+ tax for everything (including labor) is about $2100. I’m kinda confused on why you would do this just for the ceremony, if I was paying that much, I’d make double duty and use it for the reception too… Or just have an outdoor wedding and nix the tent altogether. To me it seems kinda pointless anyway to have an outdoor wedding if your not acctually fully outdoors, might as well have a venue for a couple hours, cost is prob. the same if not cheaper. Just a thought! most people only rent them for receptions and they account for all the time that tent is gone, they don’t care if you only have it for a few hours, it’s all the same to them. good luck!

Post # 7
433 posts
Helper bee

My rental:

30×60 century tent, sides for 1/2 the perimeter :$815

Delivery (30 min drive): $84

but we’re in an area that has a few options for rental companies, so I think that helps keep the cost (sort of) reasonable

Maybe for your needs you could buy a DIY tentor canopy and then if you don’t use it you can return it? I’d also look into putting the deposit down and then asking if you can cancel if its goign to be nice. You’d still be down 1/2 your money but ti’s better than nothing…

Post # 8
125 posts
Blushing bee

yup 40 x 80 including all rentals around $3K.

Post # 10
384 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I don’t have our full quote in front of me, so I don’t remember the break down, but our quote for a 40×100 tent, tables and chairs for 300, lighting, dance floor, delivery and set up was around $3500.  I think the tent (not including delivery) was $1300.  I think your quote sounds reasonable, provided that $1300 includes delivery and set up.  It may have been that the original quote didn’t include delivery, but the new one does.  It may also be that they’ve increased their prices since the last quote.  My tent guy did that, though not by much.

Post # 11
650 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

wow i must live in acheap area for tents my 30 by 6o with delievery and set up is gonna be 500. all together for speciality purple uplighting chiars, tables, etc were spending around 1200.

Post # 12
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@stargal34: So. Jealous. I hate how much we’re spending on a stupid tent. It makes me angry. Thankfully I’m getting a 10% discount because I found them at a wedding show. Every penny counts right?!

Post # 13
321 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

i think you’re getting the shaft.  if you have the $900 quote in writing that will help you, even if they’ve raised their prices they should still honor the quote.  DIY tents pretty much max out at 40’x20′ and i’m guessing yours is larger for $900.  A tent that large is pretty much never rented out as a diy thing, meaning she should have never quoted you for “just the tent” and not labor and delivery.  like another bee said, try and go over her head, talk to the owner.

the way i got a discount was to rent other stuff from the same place, like our chairs and some tables.  they are more likely to shave off some money from the tent if they are making it elsewhere as well.  i thought about doing what bakerella said, like reeeeally thought about it, but couldn’t risk them getting pissed and not showing up with my chairs.

of course i could be completely wrong, since i live in an area where a 40×20′ tent was rented and set-up for under $600.  good luck to you.

Post # 14
2889 posts
Sugar bee

My 30×60 tent is about $1500 and we had to contract with the one company our venue uses. We’re having dinner in the tent though so I would not go with out but your price sounds really normal to me.

Post # 15
790 posts
Busy bee

Ours is 30×70 and about $1200, I know it sucks but we needed a reception tent

The topic ‘$1200 for a TENT?! Is that outrageous?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors