(Closed) 13 (and a half) months before the wedding…to buy or not to buy?

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
2158 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

If you are that in love with your dress AND you can get is on sale now, then go for it! While new dresses come out, the styles aren’t changing that drastically that fast.  Once you find THE dress, then its the one you will love all the way till your wedding day.

And once you buy it, STOP looking at more dresses! Be happy with yours.

Post # 4
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I purchased my gown about 16 months ahead of the date. I tried it on, went to look it up online to show my mom, and it had JUST been discontinued, so I scored a great deal. I would ask the consultant to see if this will be discontinued any time soon or if it’s a popular one that will be around for a while.

If she says it’s here to stay for a bit, I’d snag it with the 15% off deal and find a place to store it (and STOP looking, haha). If it’s set to be discontinued soon, I would just keep tabs on it REALLY closely, and watch for the minute it goes to buy the sample (if it fits). If you can’t purchase a quality sample when it’s discontinued, then I’d just buy now with your discount to be sure. Best of luck!

Post # 5
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I’m going to go against the grain and say that I think you should wait a little longer.  There will always be more dresses, more sales, etc.  A lot can happen in 16 months.

Also, do you have your venue and such nailed down?

Post # 6
2 posts
  • Wedding: October 2011

As long as you’ll have alterations worked into your wedding budget and you’re sure this is most definitely the dress, my money’s on going for it. I found my dress around a year before the wedding, and ended up losing 8 pant sizes, but if you’re not planning on losing a substancial amount of weight and can resist the urge to do any more looking, I see no reason not to go for your dream gown!

Post # 8
2125 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I say the dress will be around for a while unless it’s being discontinued..I’d check on it here and there and wait until you are at least 10 months out from the wedding. But chances are…you will still want her.

Post # 9
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@MiamiLove13: Derp.  Obviously my reading comprehension is off.  Anyway, I’d still wait.  Just like PP said, it’ll still be around, and the longer you wait the bigger the discounts ๐Ÿ™‚

But that’s just me!  If you love-love-love the dress, then get it.  Part of me wishes I’d waited – not because I want a different dress, but because I’m losing significant weight and the alterations are going to be a bitch.  I wish I’d waited so I could order a closer size to what I’ll end up being.

Post # 11
1340 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@MiamiLove13: Hello date twin! My Fiance and I just started gown shopping five months ago. I purchased my gown three months ago and just had my first fitting. My Fiance is still shopping and we’re headed to a boutique tomorrow to try on what she thinks is THE gown–the deciding factor is how great the price is on Small Business Saturday!

Post # 12
3261 posts
Sugar bee

I would wait! I got my dress 10 months prior, and the dress regret is starting to seep in. While I do love my dress, I just wish I had shopped around more, especially since new styles/lines came out a few months after my purchase.

Post # 13
6893 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

I bought mine 14 months before and haven’t even had the slightest regret. I *love* my dress. If I could try it on daily I would. Lol. I was in a similar position – it was on sale, I knew I loved it, and I’m a very decisive buyer. It also had just been discontinued, so that sort of pushed it for me. That’s really the only difference.

I don’t see many reasons not to if you are positive it’s your dress. I know you hear about dress regret fairly often on here but…not everyone has it.

Post # 14
399 posts
Helper bee

I would NOT buy it now. you will find a million other dresses between now and then that you LOOOOVE, also you will find this dress for way less between now and then, and can probably get it used too.

Post # 16
38 posts
  • Wedding: May 2013

@MiamiLove13:  If you are in LOVE with the dress buy it! I bought my dress around June/July 2011 and my wedding isnt until May 2013.  I just fell in love with my dress! 

The topic ‘13 (and a half) months before the wedding…to buy or not to buy?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors