14 weeks and fell flat on my belly….

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
8677 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

If you just fell on another squishy human, I wouldn’t worry too much unless I had cramping or bleeding of some sort. If you fell down a flight of stairs, I’d be way more worried.

ETA: Bellies are pretty resiliant. You’ve got a lot of padding and protection going on there. I always like to think back to the Oregon Trail days where women still had to wrangle livestock, clean and prep dinner and shuffle around cargo while pregnant. We as a race survived somehow!

Post # 4
3677 posts
Sugar bee

It’s a good idea to get it checked out, but you are almost certainly just fine. The baby is quite small at this stage and is cushioned by a lot of amniotic fluid, which cannot be compressed; you are much more likely to have hurt yourself than your baby with what you describe.

Post # 5
2419 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m sure you are going to be just fine. Especially since you only fell on a body, not a hard surface. But in any case, nature ensures that babies are super-protected in the womb since they are surrounded by amniotic fluid and usually, you are more likely to hurt yourself in a fall, not the baby.

Incidentally, I fell up a flight of concrete steps at work when I was 15 weeks pregnant. The baby (my first son) was completely unharmed. My dignity and my knees took a bit of a battering though!

Post # 9
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@eecuadrado:  you’re fine. baby is well padded in there, especially so early.  I’m pretty sure falling on your belly is a pregnancy rite of passage – every one I know has done it at least once! 

Post # 10
2666 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 1996

The only reason I’d even suggest that you call your doctor is because I think you need the reassurance that everything is fine! A high speed car accident or falling down a whole flight of stairs could hurt your baby (but wouldn’t necessarily!) but the kind of fall you’re describing is very, very unlikely to do any harm.

Post # 13
4440 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@Hyperventilate:  Oregon Trail…

OP – I think you’re safe, I agree with the above PP — you didn’t really fall and take a blunt force to the belly.

Post # 15
8480 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’m sure you’re fine, baby is like a fish in a fishbowl in there.  It probably didn’t even notice!

Post # 16
2869 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@eecuadrado:  You are fine. If you start spotting, bleeding or feeling dizzy I’d the call Dr. Otherwise you should be just fine. I fell off my porch ( the dog was chasing a squirrel and dragged me off when I was caught off guard) and fell HARD on my stomach around 36 weeks pregnant with the twins. I thought they’d want me to come in, but they said as long as there was no bleeding- when you fall you could cause an issue with the placenta- then it’s all good. Hope your day gets better! 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors