(Closed) 14 year old Maid Of Honor?

posted 8 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I don’t think thats strange at all. If you want it I think its wonderful.

Post # 4
2634 posts
Sugar bee

Just do what you want to do, I’m sure your little sis would be honored!

Post # 5
3788 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Who wouldn’t “allow” it? I am not having a titled MOH, but my FSIL will be 17 and she will be standing next to me and handling my bouquet and “froofing” my dress, as she says. I don’t know if I’d want her to plan a shower or bachelorette party or anything (even just a spa day or something she could participate in, obviously, not going out/bar) and would let my other girls handle that — only because she doesn’t have the funds or life experience to know what to is expected and I wouldn’t want to unnecessarily stress her out like that. I wouldn’t think it’s weird to have a 14 year old with the title anyway. Your bridal party should be the people who are most important to you! We have a 17 year old and it is looking like we may have a 60 year old on his side, too!

Post # 6
962 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

My 14yo sister is my Maid of Honor!  And our 47yo sister is my other MOH!  Ha!  We’re all VERY spread out in ages…  but I wouldn’t have considered anyone else to play the rolls of MOH but them!  My only concern for you is that she really won’t be able to do the typical MOH duties… planning Showers, Bach Parties and the like (I’m not having any of those, so that wasn’t an issue for me)… so if you’re mom doesn’t mind standing in as the main support for her to lean on in her duties.. I think it’s a great idea!  My folks have been great helping my little sis do my dirty work (like collect 120 river stones for seating cards!).  =D

Post # 7
1438 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@Firefighter_Bride: I certaintly don’t think there is some rule dictating how old your MOH needs to be. But keep in mind, a 14 year old is going to be limited on what she can organize. And likely wouldn’t be able to join in on the bachelorette party.

Post # 8
1347 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I was my sister’s MOH when I was 11 or 12. I had a lot of fun, but I definitely wasn’t able/aware of my duties since I was just a kid. I think it’s fine, too, if that’s what you want!

Post # 9
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I love the idea (I bet she is really excited).  You might want to double check how old witnesses need to be if she is going to sign the register for you.  Sometimes they need to be of legal age (18/19/whatever).

Post # 11
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

When my sister got married, I was MOH and was 15 years old.

Post # 12
282 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I was in a wedding where the MOH was underage (16, I think). It was lovely, she was super excited and totally all about helping in every way possible. As BMs we took on a little more planning. One thing worth mentioning, before the bar parts of the bachelorette evening, we did an afternoon visit to a spa to get our nails done. And then we had what we called “tea,” but was really just an excuse to eat an afternoon dessert. The underage MOH was able to participate in those two activities.

Post # 13
1465 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

It’s fine for anyone of any age to be a maid of honor. Be aware that she is not old enough to legally sign the marriage certificate as your witness so you will have to someone else do that for it to be legally binding.

Have something fun that all of your bridesmaids can do that doesn’t limit her due to her age such as going out to lunch or having your nails done.

Post # 14
879 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Musingsfromhere basically said what I was going to. The only thing I could see that would be an issue is that normally (from where I am from anyway) the MOH is the one that acts as the witness to the marriage.  But I can’t see why you can’t have her as the MOH and just have someone else from the wedding party be the witness.

My FI doesn’t have any family to speak and right now the plan is that our two children (girl currently 2.5 yrs and boy about to be born) will be his Best Girl and Best Boy. Obviously they can’t witness the wedding, so we are thinking of asking my Dad to be the witness for him. My Witness will be my one Bridesmaid who I have knoen since Kindy.

And as for a Bachelor Party. my FI has no plans on having one anyway.  Hes done so much partying in his life and been a playboy for long enough, he doesn’t feel the need to have one last fling.

The topic ‘14 year old Maid Of Honor?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors