Is this a good diamond for the price? Please help!

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
5207 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

@tobymaxmom:  If you had a close-up pic that would be more helpful. 

Post # 5
4440 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

The fact that it has I1, will lower the price in itself that’s pretty low..  Look at a diamond chart if you haven’t already with the 4 C’s. 

Post # 6
932 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

You are paying for lighting at Jared’s that to mee seems extremely high for an I1 diamond.  Just rememer, even with all of of the alleged warranties and upgrade policies, you will never get for a diamond whaty you pay for it.  Perhaps you can go visit an indepently owned jewelry store and you will save yourself loads of money.  Nothing wrong with an I1 diamond I have one, but it wasnt nearly that much in price and granted my diamond is 1.01 carats, but I would keep shopping if it was me… but I am betty bargain hunter.

Post # 7
167 posts
Blushing bee

I think it’s priced too high. On Shane Cos website they have a 1.70 F, S1 for 9700. Like pp said if you independently owned jewelers you can save even more than that. good luck!

Post # 10
785 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

The clarity it’s pretty bad, but if you love it I would do it!

Post # 11
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Who graded the diamond?

Post # 12
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Also, I would say it is overpriced. The Pricescope search shows a 1.75 GIA-graded G I1, very good cut for $8052.

Post # 13
5445 posts
Bee Keeper

I would highly discourage you from Jared. 

For a large diamond like that, I would go no lower than ideal cut, and no lower than SI, preferably VS. You can get much more quality for your money online, and since you’re looking at a simple solitaire, you will have tons of option online. 

Edit: for comparison, you can get a 1.5 carat, G color, SI1 ideal cut diamond on blue Nile for 10,800. Same price for better quality and a close size. The size difference would be barely noticeable, if at all. 

Post # 14
2184 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

Honestly, I would skip Jared. We were set on buying from Jared– until we went to a local jeweler. The customer service and the prices were so much better. We went back for our wedding bands, too. Please comparison shop. We went in knowing the minimum specs I wanted based on our budget and walked out with a diamond that I never thought we could afford. 

Post # 16
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I don’t think it’s a good deal at all. I wouldn’t pay $10k for an I1 diamond. It looks very cloudy in the picture.  But, it’s all about what’s most important to you in specs.  Personally, I’d go down in size a bit to get a less included diamond.  Also, if you’re not color sensitive, going down a few color grades can save you some $, too. 

Also, I see people mentioning Jared.  If that’s where the diamond is from, you’re going to get ripped off. Go to a local, family owned jeweler! The customer service and prices will be much better!

I went to a local jeweler and got a larger, better quality stone then the one you have above for cheaper than $10k.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors