15 month old waking at night–HELP!!

posted 2 years ago in Parenting
Post # 2
1169 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

It could possibly separation anxiety, I think there’s another peak around 14-15 months? You could possibly try a night light in case your LO has developed a fear of the dark.

My advice would be to attend to your LO’s needs and reassess if the behaviour goes on for more than a few days or a week.

Post # 3
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

From a parent of a 2.5 year old who is only just starting to sleep through the night now (&usually up at 5:30), I envy you.

That being said, I can relate to how awful it us for your kids’ sleep pattern to change. It is often for no other reason than they are developing all sorts of skills at this point, and that can effect thier sleep. Is she acting normal during the day? The hysterical crying is kind of something concerning…If it isnt teething or an illness I would just keep doing your usual. It will pass. At this age, there is always something that will be changing. Even now my 2.5 year old will still have a few off nights.

…and I wouldnt recommend a night light. The room should be as dark as possible. Extra light can actually interrupt sleep cycles.

Post # 4
1230 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

kortizi0:  night terrors? I don’t have a child but I know they are somewhat rare, but possible. She might be hitting a new developmental milestone. I used to have night terrors at 18 months until I was 2. 

Night terrors are essentially bad dreams ampliphied. They are caused when baby’s brain slips from one stage of sleep to another. It’s a normal fear-stricken reaction to brain change. Kids don’t generally remember it and there is no damage done. But in the meantime, it’s quite frustrating and even heartbreaking to watch.

Either way, talk to your doctor about any sudden changes in her sleep pattern.

Post # 7
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I do hear rumor of a big sleep regression around 18 months, so she could be hitting that a bit early, or if she doesn’t have all of her 1 year molars just yet it could be her teeth.  Kids around this age sometimes do have nightmares/night terrors as well.

The last time DD had trouble with night waking (she wakes once but almost always goes back to sleep within 5-10 minutes and doesn’t fuss at all) she ended up having an ear infection.  She doesn’t spike a high fever and is rarely irritable about it, and it’s only the second ear infection we’ve ever had so I’m glad I took her in because otherwise I wouldn’t have guessed her ears!

Anyway, good luck, the whold toddler thing is HARD.  DD is 15 months old and there are new and exciting challenges every day :/

Post # 8
257 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

This is a totally random idea, but apparently my husband used to wake screaming in the middle of the night when he was a toddler because of allergy-related problems (trouble breathing, I guess).  I don’t know a lot of detail because I wasn’t even alive yet then! 😉  Anyway, my MIL took steps to reduce allergens and it got better.  Something to consider if you have a family history of allergies!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors