(Closed) 15 month old will not eat veggies

posted 6 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
9627 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

Sounds like a normal 15-month old.  My son was sometimes a picky eater as a child but I never forced the issue.  I let him eat, within reason, whatever he wanted to.  And I’m happy to tell you that he is now a full-grown, normal, healthy, adult male and has no negative eating issues whatsoever.  And he loves vegetables now. 

I would encourage your child to eat or at least try things but if he/she doesn’t like it, don’t force it.  My pedicatrician told me to put the food in front of him and if/when he’s hungry, he’ll eat.  Otherwise don’t worry too much about it.  Food should never become a power struggle.

Post # 4
150 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2005

Tell him he will grow big like mommy/daddy. lol I used to tell my little cousin this all the time and it got her to eat them.

Otherwise there is a website that has recipies for sneaking veggies in foods like macaroni and cheese.

I would just google “how to hide veggies for kids.”

Post # 5
3847 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2004

I found with my girls that if I took all unhealthy options away (chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc) and just provide options that meet your standard for healthy food, they will eat it.  We started havig this problem when our first daughter was about that age.  We simply stopped buying food we didn’t want her to eat (chicken nuggets for her) and that fixed that.  Now she is the healthiest eating six year old I know.

Hiding the veggies in other food like mac and cheese is a bad idea, that is not how you teach healthy food habits.

Post # 6
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

If you put spinach in the food processor with cheese, and grind it down, then make it into grilled cheeses, I bet he will eat it. My bonus son thought green grilled cheese was awesome.

Have you tried dip? He also would eat veggies raw if he could dip it; ranch dressing, sour cream, or cheese dips also worked

Post # 8
3471 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

My sister is going through this with my nephew who will be 3 in October– my advice has always been the same– your will power needs to be stronger.  Serve him what’s for dinner, and if he doesn’t want to eat it, that’s fine. When he’s hungry, he’ll eat. 

Post # 10
4693 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Maybe ranch dressing with the veggies? That’s how my mom got my sister and I to eat veggies!

Post # 11
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@flamingred:  No kids yet, but I know there are a ton of great books/articles on hiding veggies in foods. Does she like spaghetti? You can easily mix in some peppers, mushrooms, or chunks of tomato. Things like that – but it sounds like she’s eating pretty healthy otherwise and it’s just a phase.

Or you could be really evil like my mom, and stuff the middle of the olives with nasty things. Haha! My mom used to grind up pills that I had to take and put them in the middle…..unpleasant surprise for me!

Post # 12
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I have a 37 year old Darling Husband with the same problem:)

Seriously, a lot of small children will eat anything they can dip. Basically they are playing with their food but it does work. You also might want to focus on sweeter, milder vegetables and save the Brussels sprouts for later. Or never.

Post # 14
4693 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@flamingred:  Oh no! That was me and pineapple as a child, thank goodness I grew out of it because I love pineapple.  I would be so sad if it still gave me a rash on my bottom.  🙁 Haha

ETA: Sorry for over sharing, that was my way of saying hopefully your daughter grows out of getting a rash from tomatoes, because tomatoes are also delicious.

Post # 16
509 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2002

My child is 7 and still won’t. 

The topic ‘15 month old will not eat veggies’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors