1.5 year engagement?

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
3265 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@SaugaBride:  They’re probably just being naive or they’re just really excited for it and are a little sad it’s “so far away”. We have a 15 month engagement. No problems with it.

Post # 4
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I think a year and a half is fine if you have a rational reason behind it (which it sounds like you do) and neither of you are dragging your feet due to commitment issues.  You and your finace know your situation best — what works for others may not work for you and vice versa.

Post # 5
3570 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

It’s a little longer than the norm.

Post # 6
8282 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

Who cares what people say or think?! Your wedding date is what works for YOU. I was engaged for 19 months. 

Post # 7
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Typical engagement is about 12-15 months although many couples have much shorter or longer enagements. Do what works for you. We’re having a 19 month engagement and it has flown by! No one gave us weird looks or questioned it because they knew we wanted to finish school first. 

Post # 8
1666 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

@SaugaBride:  We’re doing a 2 year engagement because my sister gets married next year and it gives us time to beef up our financial cushion. I think people are just being naive about it, not necessarily rude. Just mention that you don’t want to go into debt to pay for a wedding and staying engaged for 1.5 years gives you enough time to make sure that doesn’t happen . . . or that venues fill up very quickly for your area and you won’t be able to book a place until 2015 . . . or you could just not give them a reason and just say that was what worked best for you.

Post # 9
1416 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Our engagement is a little over 2 years long. We just hit the 1.5 year out mark and I can tell you time has flown by. I was actually talking to my best friend/bridesmaid about it. And there is no way I would’ve wanted to be engaged for a year. I would’ve probably ripped all my hair out from being so stressed about everything.

Post # 10
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

My engagement is currently 1.5 years long..and yes, people did give me weird looks/comments. And I think that made me question the engagement as well. Most couples that got engaged before us in previous years were engaged for a year or less. I even had several friends and cousins get engaged after I did, and their save-the- dates were sent out about 6-7 months later. I was 8 months into being engaged myself, and my fiance and I had done nothing in terms of wedding planning, let alone even talk about it. It made me second guess whether or not he even wanted to get married at all or wanted a REALLY long engagement since everytime I brought up wedding planning, he either ignored me or gave me the “do whatever you want” look. Add that to the stress of people asking me when my wedding date was, where the venue was, whether or not I picked the dress yet, etc. and it kinda made me feel worse and question everything. People were giving me the “What are you waiting for? Start planning already!” talk…or the sympathetic “Oh, is he having second thoughts about marrying you?” comments. It sucked because people wondered if my FI was having committment issues, and I started to wonder the same thing myself. But in one weekend, he kinda just looked up and was like, “OK, let’s plan this thing!” We got most of our major vendors booked in two days. 

Post # 11
118 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

My engagement will be 18 months when we get married. Part of the reasoning is that my brother works in Hong Kong and can only come home at certain times of year, and I didn’t really want to get married in 2013. April 2014 is what we came up with after working with my brother’s holidays and all sorts of other things. It *was* a little annoying to have to say to people, “we’re getting married in April of TWENTY-FOURTEEN,” when it was still 2012. Oh well. Deal with it, other people. I’ve had the most relaxing planning so far!

Post # 12
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Our engagement is 20 months longer than I wanted but things are SO expensive in Toronto we need time to save for the wedding and a house a year was too short, FI didn’t want a winter wedding and that brought us to May 2015. People gave/give us looks too. My attitude is if they have such an issue with it they can pay for the wedding and the down payment on a house, otherwise, see ya May of 2015! lol 

Post # 13
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think most people still see 12 months as “standard length”! Which is silly, because a LOT of Bees on her have engagements 1.5 years or WAY longer!

Post # 14
345 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

We will have a 1.5 year engagement. It comes quicker than you think!!!

Post # 15
2394 posts
Buzzing bee

I don’t think 1.5 years is that unusual in this day and age. 

I think it’s longer than what may have been considered the norm in years past. 

As long as it works for you and your FI, that’s all that matters. 

Congratulations!

Post # 16
1241 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I have a 1.5 year engagement. I’m not thrilled about it, but we need time to save money and get things in order for life. I don’t think it’s all that bad, but others might.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors