$150 Flower Girl Dress?

posted 2 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
42469 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I say it’s high from my personal experience. The trouble with expensive flower girl dresses is that there is no possible other use for them, and the girl grows out of them before they can be used again anyhow.

My daughter has been a flower girl twice. Both times we were just asked to find a dress in a certain color, so I could determine my budget. Both of them were less than $50.

I woudn’t be comfortable asking anyone to spend that amount of money on a flower girl dress for my wedding.

Post # 5
6026 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Way way way too expensive. Plus, the dress is for your wedding, so regardless of price, you should pay.

Post # 6
88 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I can’t imagine paying that much for a flower girl dress for my •own• daughter in my •own• wedding, let alone for a dress in someone else’s wedding. I guess it depends on personal circumstances, but that is kinda a lot to ask of someone. In addition to all the other things they will be spending money on to attend your wedding. 

Post # 7
8905 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I think you should pay regardless, so if you want to fork out 150, do it! But yikes that’s a lot. Ours was $40 and adorable. 

Post # 8
740 posts
Busy bee

That seems very expensive to me!!! That cost more than my bridesmaid dresses!

Post # 10
42469 posts
Honey Beekeeper

egrossheim:  It depends on where you live , so I can’t answer what is cutom in your area. Here , the parents of the FG and RB pay for their outfits the same as BM’s and Groomsmen. That doesn’t give the bride carte blanche to choose an expensive dress just because she wants a miniature bride looking cute in her pictures.

Post # 12
740 posts
Busy bee

egrossheim:  It really depends where you live. Where I am from the person wearing the dress pays for it.

Post # 14
42469 posts
Honey Beekeeper

egrossheim:  no more than $50. This may be a big deal to you, but asking them to spend more on one dress than they may have spent on all her dresses so far, is a bit much.

Post # 15
3707 posts
Sugar bee

egrossheim:  Since it’s completely your taste, yes, I think you should pay for all or most of it. There’s a chance it will never be worn again. I paid for the FG dress, for both my daughter’s weddings, because I knew that the girls wouldn’t get much wear out of it, had no personal income like the bridesmaids, etc. My daughter picked the first one out, bought online – around $50 (long, satin-like fabric, ivory). The 2nd I found a sample with tags on E-bay, $55 including shipping. To buy new – Dessy, Venetian Gold, to coordinate with bridesmaids – would have cost $150 plus tax.

When my daughter was a flower girl 25 years ago, they wore 1st communion dresses (neither of the F/Gs were Catholic, so they couldn’t use them as their personal 1stC dresses), that were discounted (late June wedding, 1st communions around here are usually early May). The same can be found with Easter and Xmas dresses on sale, if someone wants color. I think she wore it two more times – for class photos that fall and for Halloween (Miss America). The mothers had no input into the style, the bride (zilla with a capital B) chose them and asked us to fork over almost $100 for it. Both flowergirls were pale complexion blondes, so white wasn’t exactly flattering. We sucked it up, because it was family, but were seething.  

P.S. I just noticed what looks like an embroidered BVM, on the front of the dress. Is this advertised as a 1st communion dress, I’ve never seen one with this feature before?

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors