16 weeks preganant…Am I feeling Fetal Movement or Braxton Hicks?

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
5966 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2017

@SoontobeMrsAM:  hmmm I personally don’t think fetal movement and braxton hicks feel anything alike. I also dont think fetal movement felt like tightening of the uterus. That would be more of a contraction type feeling, most likely braxton hicks. I would mention it to your doctor to be sure. Im no expert but I always thought braxton hicks didn’t happen til later in the pregnancy. Don’t trust me on that though lol I had my son 8 years ago but I remember that I didn’t get those til much later in my pregnancy but everyone is different I suppose. I think as long as you have no other symptoms (pain, bleeding, fainting, etc) that you should just mention it to your doctor.

Also, growing can make the entire pelvic area feel strange at times. So don’t rule out normal pregnancy uncomfortableness 🙂

Post # 4
166 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Sounds like braxtons to me. I started having them when I was about 18 weeks pregnant, I thought the tightening was fetal movement too, my doctor diagnosed me with irritable uterus, it was nothing the worry about, just made my pregnancy very uncomfortable, I carried to full term too 🙂 it used to happen after I had been on my feet for a while, my advice, sit back and relax 🙂

Post # 5
1817 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Definitely sounds like Braxton Hicks. To me fetal movements felt like my muscles were twitching (I never felt the gas bubble feeling).

Post # 6
7654 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

@SoontobeMrsAM:  Sounds like BH contractions. I didn’t have them that early (at least I didn’t think so) but I would feel generally uncomfortable for a few seconds, so perhaps you aren’t feeling BH and maybe just general uncomfortableness.

Fetal movement was more like little flutters or twitches/muscle spasms in my lower abdomen, so I don’t believe that is what you’re feeling.

Post # 7
1147 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@SoontobeMrsAM:  I took a “late pregnancy & hospital tour” class last week and the teacher said that our BH start right away but we don’t feel them until later in our pregnancy. She likened it to your uterus being a big muscle that’s “working out” and getting strong/ready for delivery. Stay hydrated =) 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors