(Closed) 1,657 Miles Away… Valentine's Day a la Skype

posted 5 years ago in Long Distance Relationships
Post # 3
3975 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

we’ll be doing Skype/Facetime as well hopefully, but I’m not even sure we’ll get to do that. FI is in Texas for work and I’ll be on a plane flying to Rome. I get on a plane at 4pm Texas time so he’ll still be working. Not sure I’ll even get to talk to him.

Bottom line – I feel your sadness and am in the same boat πŸ™

Post # 4
50 posts
Worker bee

I litterly am in a boat… I’m on mine so is on his and we’re an ocean away.  cell phones don’t even work on his! so enjoy your day! atleast you sorta get to “see” him πŸ™‚

Post # 5
2808 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

been there, done that. we were 2,655 miles away from each other last year. i think we watched a movie over skype for valentine’s last year. movie dates were standard for us for the first few months when we were together, since we were so far apart.

it’ll be worth it in the end when you are together, i promise.

Post # 6
4284 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I think Valentines Day is just a Hallmark holiday anyways. I hope you have a good skype date, but don’t put too much pressure on it just because it’s Valentines Day.

Post # 7
9061 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

No one has to celebrate Valentines day.

That being said, before I began dating my husband I was in a 3 year long distance relationship. He was in Ohio, I was in California. Valentines day was rough for the both of us as we didn’t get to share a right proper dinner. But we always spent it playing games on Skype or something. I know those feels. But if you don’t want to celebrate V-Day, don’t?

Post # 8
2759 posts
Sugar bee

*hug* I’m sorry, I know how you feel – mine is currently 8,224 miles away in India. Tonight will be Valentine’s Day morning for him and I’ll be celebrating V-day as he’s getting ready for bed tomorrow. The place he’s staying at has constant power outages and crappy internet, plus we have no time for Skype even if we could. I mailed him a card, but it prob won’t get to him til next week lol.

He apparently sent me a gift that should arrive tonight, and I think the sneak ordered flowers for my office tomorrow. But it’s not the same as being able to share the day with him.

Post # 9
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

My SO and I have been together since late 2005, this will be our 8th and hopefully final Valentine’s Day apart.

Skype dates are hard to be excited about but they can be fun.  Our difficulty is just the time difference (we’re a bit under 9,000 miles apart) and our dates tend to be interrupted by other things.  It just makes the times we are together that much more important and fun.  

As for this Valentine’s Day, I’m having a “me” day and eating my favorite dinner, drinking my favorite wine, watching any sappy movie (or a movie with my favorite hot actor in it) I want and giving myself a manicure/pedicure.  After all, it’s the last V-Day where I don’t have to consult anyone else on their plans and I don’t have to share the chocolate!

Post # 11
9061 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

@humminbird:  I just don’t understand why you have to. I mean, it’s a pretty conscious decision, right? If you don’t want to, don’t. You’ll both be tucked away with skype, right? I get peer pressure but, this is your relationship. If you’re both pretty cool with, “How about we just skype and talk and have a good ol time.” I don’t see the harm. At least, that’s how I handled it when I was in a LDR. We didn’t celebrate in “normal” ways, I guess you could put it. We’d say happy valentines day and go on our way. :

Post # 12
2759 posts
Sugar bee

@humminbird:  Sadly, skype is impossible – the connection he has there is just too bad. All I get is a jerky, pixelated image that might be him and distorted sound. But I’m hoping maybe he’ll call me – his iPhone’s international calling is pretty great πŸ™‚

Post # 13
1347 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

My boyfriend is going to be tour… so Valentine’s day for him is going to be on a tour bus with 7 other guys… fun fun. No facetime. No skype. I’m not really bothered. Going to have a girls night! I think my single lady friends are excited. πŸ™‚

Post # 14
66 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

We’ll be watching “What Dreams May Come” on Skype together. (One of the saddest movies of all times) 

It’s sad that we’re so far away and to make things worse, we’ll cry a bit watching the movie. Tongue Out

Distance is killing me!!!!

Post # 15
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@MissCalifornia:  If he has an iPhone, have him download Skype!  Maybe you’ll be able to get a better picture/experience that way?  Good luck!

Post # 16
2759 posts
Sugar bee

@Zephi:  Hmm, I’ll ask but I think he signed up for a really tiny data package while abroad since the rates are astronomical. Not sure if skype would count towards that or not. Thanks for the tip!

The topic ‘1,657 Miles Away… Valentine's Day a la Skype’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors