(Closed) 170 Guests for $10K — need recption ideas!

posted 6 years ago in New York City
Post # 3
27 posts
Newbee

Bohemian Hall in Astoria?

Ukrainian National Home in the East Village?

Post # 4
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2012

That’s a tough one!

I think you’re best bet might be to check out catering halls.  Gennaro’s in Brooklyn has a 10K deal that includes a lot of stuff, but there might be a guest limit.  I’ve had a lot of friends look there that were on really tight budgets. 

Or you could check out a Vet Hall or a Knights of Columbus.  The Baron DeKalb is on the water in Sheepshead Bay.  Also check out the Mirimar Yacht Club and St. Simon Church in Brooklyn.  The caterers we spoke to recommended them for budget weddings. 

The fire musuem in Manhattan offered a good price, you just have to bring in your own food, tables, etc.  And also the Aurora Gallery in Astoria lets your rent the venue by the hour which makes it really affordable.

Let us know what you find!

Post # 5
831 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

This is going to be VERY tough. You are looking at around $60 per head excluding tax/gratuity. With booze.

The cheapest place I came across was Riverview Restaurant in LIC.  Starts at $70.00 pp but it’s a cocktail hour plus 3 hour reception so it’s shorter than other places I looked at which have 4 hour reception.  I never visited them so I don’t really know what it’s like but you might want to check it out

I would also look at community halls, KOC’s that type of place.

Post # 7
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@erikasilverstein:  I found with venue hunting, it all came down to just going there and talking to the staff and seeing the venue in person.  Even if it sounds too good to be true, you won’t know until you check it out.

Also, some tricks to lowering/negotiating the price- you could have a Sunday or Friday wedding, you could have a day time wedding, you could eliminate open bar but still do beer, wine and a signature cocktail.  Some venues lower their prices in the off season, maybe you can get a better deal for a March or February wedding… there are a lot of ways to negotiate and work it out once you speak with them.  Sometimes it helped us to tell them our budget and they would say here’s what we can do for you at that budget.

Post # 8
12 posts
Newbee

@JMars718:  Try to contact Mimi Isles from Mim’s Fusion of Flavors they can help you with rentals and the food is fantastic, her presentation is pretty cute they’are a Latin infused catering company.

Olga

Post # 9
69 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

We are having our ceremony and reception at Westbury Manor.  If you do a Friday or Sunday, or a holiday, you can get some fantastic prices.  It’s 10 minutes outside of Queens (in Nassau) and very easy to get to.  We are paying $75 per person for a Sunday afternoon wedding.  We got our photographer for $1300, our DJ for $1100, makeup artist for $175, dress for $100 (David’s Bridal outlet!), and I’m ordering a silk bouquet instead of hiring a florist.  Westbury Manor includes all flowers for the outdoor ceremony, so I just needed to get a bouquet.  We are working within our budget!

ETA: Our wedding package includes a massive amount of food, the cake is included, and there’s a full open bar. 

The topic ‘170 Guests for $10K — need recption ideas!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors