$1,800 too much for a dress? Please help me find long sleeves similar to this!

posted 2 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
13 posts
Newbee

I personally do not think that 1800 is too much for a dress. However; the dress is supossed to be said to be approx. 11% of the entire wedding budget? If thats what you want then get it. But from an outsiders point of view. I think you could get something similar tailor made for cheaper.

Post # 4
444 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I had a 40 person wedding and spent $850 on my dress (it was a sample) with a total budget around 6-7k–so my dress was more than 10%. Having a gorgeous dress was important to me–no guilt here. That being said, I would not pay $1800 for that dress. Their style seems to be very boho, and dresses with no structure at all are difficult for most to pull off. I did try on dresses without structure that were still flattering because they were well-made and draped well, but this doesn’t look like that to me (sorry). It also looks ill fitting even on the model, and a good fit is very flattering. (Sorry to be critical! I just think if you spend a good chunk on the dress, it should be good quality both in how it feels and how it looks!). I found a few similar dresses you might be interested in: Maggie Sottero Theda, Casablanca 2169, Allure Romance 2700. Also, consider using a bolero to get those long lace sleeves (that is what I did). It will give you more options, and a bolero will make a very simple (and inexpensive) dress gorgeous! For example, I think a bolero woudl go well with the BHLDN Annabelle dress, which is only $260.

Post # 5
279 posts
Helper bee

For me, it would have been too much. For one day’s wear? I wouldn’t be comfortable, but that said, a lot of people sure would. Have you checked on Etsy? Just a quick search showed me this shop and this shop that have more long sleeved options- I didn’t read reviews or anything but as long as you do your research and don’t expect miracles for cheap, I would think it would be fine. 

Have you tried on these dresses? They are lovely but have no structure so I would imagin they aren’t very forgiving. Of course that may be just fine for you, how would I know?

Post # 6
795 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I had 42 guests and after alterations by dress came to $2300. We had a very formal, intimate wedding. We pretty much had everything that a larger wedding would have – just on a smaller scale. Our wedding budget was $15,000. 

Post # 7
732 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Church and University

No, it’s not a lot for a dress….for THAT dress though? Maybe.  Maggie Sottero has some awesome boho-chic styles coming out that are less expensive.  Just a thought!

Post # 9
206 posts
Helper bee

Lo89:  I agree with Nay1976…$1800 for that dress is too much. the dress you picked looks like it should be around $500-$800. There’s not a lot of fabric, rhinestones, intricate details, etc. I think you can find something very similar for a lot less.

Post # 10
866 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

If it’s your dream dress than get it! Only you can say if it’s too expensive or not, as we don’t know your finances. But you will probably regret skimping on the dress vs some decor item etc. life is short, get the dress. 

Post # 11
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

Lo89:  It’s about half the price of my dress so I would say go for it haha but that said I guess you have to take in to account the style/workmanship/material etc. I can see the cost of mine in the quality of the dress, you could maybe get the style you like for a little less but it’s hard to say – some dresses are priced on quality, some the label but if you absolutely love it I think it’s worth it!

It’s a beautiful dress, I love that style 🙂

Post # 12
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

Lo89:  Also, have you looked in to having a dress maker make the style you like from scratch? They can copy designs you like or certain elements you want to have. It’s not always the case but sometimes that’s a cheaper option, especially given the style you like isn’t overly technical 🙂

Post # 13
3347 posts
Sugar bee

It depends on your budget, really. I would not pay $1800 for a dress I’m wearing for one day, no matter how special it is. Other people may not bat an eye at spending that much.

If you really love it but don’t want to pay that much, consider having a dress made for you. I’m looking into it right now and its a much more affordable option for me.

Post # 14
2132 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I paid 1900 for mine and I think that was about average, so I don’t think it is too much.  However, for an online dress that you can’t try on first and only comes in small medium and large that is kind of ton of money.  My dress was cosmobella (demetrios is the designer) and they just came out with some gorgeous dresses with sleeves. I would look at them!!  For that kind of money you should be getting a well known reputable designer dress!

Post # 15
1349 posts
Bumble bee

I think $2,000 is about as high as someone should go for a wedding dress. I’d like to spend under $1,000. $1800 is too much for me personally, but it’s not crazy. Kinda average maybe.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors