Post # 1
FI and I have postponed our wedding from September 8, 2012 to April 20, 2013. We haven’t announced to anyone our date, most of our family consider us married anyway.
FI’s little sister announced last month that she was getting married to her FI in March 2013. I am very happy for her 🙂 A couple of days ago, she told me that they changed their date to April 1st because of the availability of the venue.
Now I’m debating if we should postpone our wedding again. I just don’t want people to think its weird because the dates are close. I have no problem picking a later date, I just don’t want our money to be gone! (We are hoping to use some of our tax returns to help).
What would you do?
Post # 3
Can you postpone it less? Or just keep the Sept 8th date? What about December? (too cold?)
Post # 4
@RunnerBride13: The Sept. 8 date was for last year :/ So we already postponed our date from last year. There is also a ‘very important’ annual fishing tournament around that time… so now I want to avoid it!
I’d rather get married in the Spring/Summer months. It doesn’t get too hot where we are planning on having our out door ceremony/reception, so I wouldn’t mind too much if we moved it to June/July.
Post # 5
I know two sisters who were married to each other just a couple weeks apart. I know that for in-town guests it wouldn’t be as much of an issue, but if you have a lot of out of town guests in common on your FI’s side they might not be able to make it to both weddings and might have to choose. But, if that won’t be an issue, I don’t see what the big deal is.
You could always set aside your tax money in a seperate savings account and just consider it untouchable, except for wedding expenses.
Post # 6
@erincredible: Most if not all of their family live near us so that wouldn’t be an issue. Thanks for the tax $$ saving tip!
If we do keep our date to April 20, when would be a good time to send invites?
Post # 7
- Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA
I would definitely move it back if that’s not a big deal to you. I know “you only get one day” blah blah blah, but especially since your SIL doesn’t know that you’ve picked a new date so close to hers, it just seems easiest and most respectful to choose one a month or two later. Can you just open a separate wedding account, deposit the money, and then not touch it?
Post # 8
Is she really getting married Aprl 1st? the Monday after Easter?
I think you’d be OK, just watch that the weekends before the wedding will be very busy, if you work full time during the week.
Post # 9
it’s not a big deal. I would not think twice about it.
Post # 10
Sounds like fun. If it doesn’t bother you don’t postpone.You have already postponed once. Have your wedding, and enjoy your day xx
Post # 11
@ohulani: I don’t think its too close but I would be a little annoyed that her wedding is SO close to yours… she could have been a little more considerate!
If it we me (and my money wouldn’t be lost) I would prob move it a month or so… it gives the family enough time to sort of get excited for another wedding again and you won’t be compared.
Post # 12
@kerensa: I didn’t realize it was the day after Easter! Or a Monday! I just assume all weddings are on Saturday 🙂 Haha. I work almost 24 hours a day… It’s called being a mom 😉
@Kimy: Right? Who doesn’t love a party? I wish I could go to more weddings!
Post # 13
@ohulani: I would send them out no later than the end of February. Most sites recommend 8 weeks out. Good luck!